cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I have this math/ understanding right?

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
Got a new 2020 GMC 2500 with DMax.

Door sticker says just over 3300 for payload. Tires are 3750.

So... manufacture's say hitch weight for xx toyhauler is.... let's say 3500lbs... im guessing that is empty... now if I load 2000lb in garage... the 3500lbs hitch weight could/should be less?
30 REPLIES 30

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta get it weighed and then do simple math.

GVWR-CAT Weight = Weight available for hitch. Assuming you were on the CAT scale with everything you would carry in the truck.
GCWR - CAT Weight = Total available weight you can tow. Same assumption as above.

With that said, my pin weight of my trailer is 2700lbs with no water in the hauler.
After I add 150 gallons of water, my pin weight goes up to 3700 lbs.
After I load my sand car in my hauler, which weighs 2800lbs, my pin weight goes down to 3400lbs (with full water in the hauler).

Of course, this is with me having all the normal camping **** in the trailer all the time.
I am just showing weight changes on big ticket items.
If people have to worry about normal "stuff" putting them over a weight rating, they don't have enough truck.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The horse trailers axle location in the picture isn't indicative of all horse trailers. But can be typical of rear stall units.
Center and front stalls axles can be farther forward. Stock trailers and flatdeck trailers are no different and all can have axles located like any toy hauler/5th wheel rv trailer or bumper pull rv trailers.

My stock trailers axle location isn't like the horse trailer in the picture.

Only way to know how much load difference is to weigh. I've seen some way out there math figures from load brokers and other drivers....but non found what the scale house found.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I guess the proof in the pudding is weighing with and without stuff in the garage. Sure would tell me if my math was correct.
Yup, the only way to tell for sure. All the rest is speculation.

Not the only way...the easiest way.

Math does work but you have to trust that the manufacturer did his part of the math correctly and then you have to do the math on everything added. In the end it's easier to just take it to the scale.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
I guess the proof in the pudding is weighing with and without stuff in the garage. Sure would tell me if my math was correct.
Yup, the only way to tell for sure. All the rest is speculation.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
You might be confusing stock and horse trailers also.
Typicality horse trailers have dividers to help support the horses while traveling, they also have an area in the front for storing tack.

This is a picture of my DD's four horse slant with small living quarters. The pin on this empty was about 2,700#, the axles are about centered under the center of the area the four horses would ride.

Getting new tires before towing home after purchase.

Thank you, a very clear illustration that shows what I'm talking about. Any weight added to the rear of that trailer is going to affect the pin weight very little.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
You did make me curious as I live in the midwest, lots of stock trailers and all the gooseneck stock trailers I have noticed all have their wheels very near the end of the trailer, unlike an RV. So I did some online looking and almost without exception the gooseneck stock trailers of any length had their wheels near the end of the trailer.

The reason I mentioned this in the first place was because you stated:

"Its surprising how little weight is taken off the hitch when 4k-6k lbs of bulls are placed back there."

This whole thread was about the hitch/tongue weight removed/changed when loading up the toyhauler. So, when you look at a gooseneck stock trailer wheel configuration compared to a normal 5th wheel toyhauler, it really isn't surprising that very little weight changes, but you can't really compare the two since they are so different vis a vis, the amount of trailer past the rear wheels. Put 4k-6k lbs. of bull at the rear of a normal toyhauler and the hitch weight would change considerably. Which is probably why gooseneck stock trailers are designed the way they are.

You might be confusing stock and horse trailers also.
Typicality horse trailers have dividers to help support the horses while traveling, they also have an area in the front for storing tack.

This is a picture of my DD's four horse slant with small living quarters. The pin on this empty was about 2,700#, the axles are about centered under the center of the area the four horses would ride.

Getting new tires before towing home after purchase.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
LOL....You just like to argue.
..... so you looked on line. Big deal Like I said I own them and I don't have too look online.
"Not all" stock trailers axles are farther back than a toy hauler and some 5th wheel rv trailers.
And not all stock trailers axles are set the same. I chose this particular brand/model because of the heavier axles that wasn't set far back like other brands/models so I could use my 3/4 or the one ton DRW.
I also own and transport cattle and horses and have been doing the dance since the '70s.

My 36' GN triaxle stock trailers axles and a 34' GN tandem dual axle flatdeck are no farther back than many toyhaulers I see parked next to me at truck stops or stock show events or stock sale yards.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You did make me curious as I live in the midwest, lots of stock trailers and all the gooseneck stock trailers I have noticed all have their wheels very near the end of the trailer, unlike an RV. So I did some online looking and almost without exception the gooseneck stock trailers of any length had their wheels near the end of the trailer.

The reason I mentioned this in the first place was because you stated:

"Its surprising how little weight is taken off the hitch when 4k-6k lbs of bulls are placed back there."

This whole thread was about the hitch/tongue weight removed/changed when loading up the toyhauler. So, when you look at a gooseneck stock trailer wheel configuration compared to a normal 5th wheel toyhauler, it really isn't surprising that very little weight changes, but you can't really compare the two since they are so different vis a vis, the amount of trailer past the rear wheels. Put 4k-6k lbs. of bull at the rear of a normal toyhauler and the hitch weight would change considerably. Which is probably why gooseneck stock trailers are designed the way they are.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
This is true, but one has to take into consideration how far to the rear those trailer tires are compared to a 5th wheel RV, even a toyhauler. There is a lot more overhang on a 5th wheel, so weight added to the very rear of the toyhauler will affect the hitch weight more than a stock trailer.

Having owned several 5th wheel rv trailers and even more different wheel base bumper and GN and one 5th wheel stock trailers I haven't found this to be true.
All stock trailers don't have the same over hang just like all toy haulers and or 5th wheel trailers don't have the same overhang.
However my point was about a trailer working like a teeter totter which it doesn't.

Huntindog wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Yep. By the time you add 4 people, firewood, a cooler full of beer, exta gas for the toys....you MIGHT have 2500 pounds of payload left. What's your tongue weight again?

From my research I know that Ford deducts 150lbs from payload for each seating position when they calculate payload. A dealer pointed that out to me and then I verified that little tidbit in the 2020 brochure.
This would be the first time I have heard of ANY manufacturer doing this.... I would love this to be true.
Can you provide a link?

It sounds like the dealers lips were moving..:B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Yep. By the time you add 4 people, firewood, a cooler full of beer, exta gas for the toys....you MIGHT have 2500 pounds of payload left. What's your tongue weight again?

From my research I know that Ford deducts 150lbs from payload for each seating position when they calculate payload. A dealer pointed that out to me and then I verified that little tidbit in the 2020 brochure.
This would be the first time I have heard of ANY manufacturer doing this.... I would love this to be true.
Can you provide a link?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"One thing I learned from loading several hundred long flatdeck trailers with wheeled equipment and pallets/etc...... and dozens of long GN stock trailers is there is no center point like a teeter totter for weight calculation simply because one end sits on the truck. Generally we load calves and first year lighter weight stock in the trailers front....then heavy stock (bulls or cows) over and aft of the trailers axles. Its surprising how little weight is taken off the hitch when 4k-6k lbs of bulls are placed back there."

This is true, but one has to take into consideration how far to the rear those trailer tires are compared to a 5th wheel RV, even a toyhauler. There is a lot more overhang on a 5th wheel, so weight added to the very rear of the toyhauler will affect the hitch weight more than a stock trailer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:

2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell