cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oops ??

BeardedUtahn
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to cry. I just drilled one hole through the side of our brand new 2021 Grand Design fifth wheel while trying to install a tv wall mount. What is the easiest and best way to repair the hole? Is the trailer a total loss. Please go easy on me.
32 REPLIES 32

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Brittney Spears......"Oops ......". Sorry to hear of your misfortune bud. I conqur w/ the post about dropping a RV. I almost lowered ours onto the top of box w/ the auto-level 1st time I went to use auto retract and not knowing what it was going to do. like yourself, it was brand new (RV). I shut off power to the auto level about a second into contact. No damage to truck, scraped decal on hitch and did just a lil damage to trim, but nothing a couple crews didn't taker care of. FWIW, did GD have labels for the tv mounting plate? Did they have them in the right spot? Many posts about drier vent hole locations not being right.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two different friend that did that to their boats. One above the water line and the other right at the water line.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry this happened to you - but knowing my luck, the same would happen to me - so I had the dealer install the front bedroom TV mount for me!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BeardedUtahn
Explorer
Explorer
Well trouble averted for now. Ran a silicon product by Grand Design and they reassured me itโ€™d work for now. Thank you again to everyone who helped.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Googled fiberglass / gel coat repair and found this.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/one-step-finish-gel-coat-white-38159.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl5_qz53B6QIVkcDACh2Q6winEAQYBCABEgLlWvD_BwE
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
A number of years ago I wore a groove on my front cap because I mounted a level too close. I bought a Tub & Shower repair kit from the local home store. It is for repairing gouges and scratches in fiberglass bath tubs and showers. It worked great and to this day you cannot find where I made the repair.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

looks like a perfect spot for a " dummy" light.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BeardedUtahn
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Did you drill through something solid or is there a void behind the fiberglass?

I was drilling into the TV mount plate in the bedroom.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Y'know, you could have made up a great story about getting shot at while driving through Colorado City. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Did you drill through something solid or is there a void behind the fiberglass?

BeardedUtahn
Explorer
Explorer

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 64-px maximum width.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
BeardedUtahn wrote:
I am about to cry. I just drilled one hole through the side of our brand new 2021 Grand Design fifth wheel while trying to install a tv wall mount. What is the easiest and best way to repair the hole? Is the trailer a total loss. Please go easy on me.

Is =that= all? Try dropping your FW...after 15 years of RVing experience. :M:M:M

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie mistake? Nope, weโ€™ve all made mistakes. X2, nickthehunter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to try to patch and cover, consider sliding a piece of dowel the diameter of the hole in so that whatever you patch material is has some backing.