cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee Steps

Mahikoa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Class A Diesel pusher. We had the motor fixed on the steps about two months ago, and since then, everything has worked fine. Switches work fine, they retract when they are supposed to and extend when they are supposed to. Yesterday, we left on a trip and as soon as we started the motor, with the door closed, the steps extended. When the motor turns off, the steps retract. This is completely opposite of what they are supposed to do. On the trips we have taken since the motor was fixed, this didn't happen. It just started yesterday. Anyone have an idea of what might be the problem?
5 REPLIES 5

thelazyl
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar symptoms with mine - they were acting possessed. It turned out to be a bad reed switch that is connected with the screen door. I'm told they often go bad. There are different kinds of switches - those that are default open or default closed. Since I couldn't figure out which one my unit expected I got one that is configurable either way.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Mahikoa wrote:
I have a Class A Diesel pusher. We had the motor fixed on the steps about two months ago, and since then, everything has worked fine. Switches work fine, they retract when they are supposed to and extend when they are supposed to. Yesterday, we left on a trip and as soon as we started the motor, with the door closed, the steps extended. When the motor turns off, the steps retract. This is completely opposite of what they are supposed to do. On the trips we have taken since the motor was fixed, this didn't happen. It just started yesterday. Anyone have an idea of what might be the problem?

Yep, complete opposite and for happening all on it's own, eh?
Does it act the same with whatever position the step switch?
That being the case and just for beginners, disconnect all your batteries negative leads for a few minutes, before reconnecting them.
Don't ask me why, but I've reset a lot of stuff to it's proper working order that way.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You need to explain MORE DETAIL. The motor was fixed. WHAT does that mean? The motor was replaced or they repaired the motor? Is it possible you never noticed the Engine running extension before? Need Model year of your RV to determine what model Kwikee step control you have. The steps are very simple. You have just one YELLOW wire at the step that is connected to the IGNITION On wire from the Key switch. When the door is closed and the Magnetic door switch is activated, when that Yellow wire has 12 volts the steps retract for travel. Now, IF you have an older Motorhome and the Shop replaced the Motor AND Control with an updated system, then you MUST replace the Door magnetic switch with the updated Magnet. A LOT of inexperienced Techs do NOT do this and they find that when replacing the Motor/Control, the steps RETRACT when door is opened and EXTEND when door is closed. Since they are idiots and should NOT be working on RV's, they swap the 2 MOTOR wires to make the steps operate correctly(They fail to READ the instructions that come with the kit which states the magnet replacement). Problem is, when they do this the steps extend when Key is ON. Doug

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
"On the trips we have taken since the motor was fixed, this didn't happen. It just started yesterday."
My suggestion would check and make sure all connections are clean and tight, especially the 2 ground connections on the steps.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The repair may have included a new controller. Some have a different style of magnetic switches. It could have the wrong one.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker