cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reach these clearance lights?

atikovi
Explorer
Explorer

Specifically the one in the middle. I'm not getting on the roof. I have no place I can park it under to reach it from above. I got to the outer ones fine with a ladder, but it's too far a reach from the sides. Can I lay a ladder on the front over the windshield without breaking the glass?
21 REPLIES 21

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used a ladder that I made for my MH out of an old step ladder using the back section of the step ladder with the skinny rungs. I added two standoffs that pivot to 90 degrees at the top from an old boat ladder with plastic end caps. The stand offs went on either side of the center posts on the wind shield. The glass is strong enough to support my weight. I weight 190 lbs but the wind shield based on the angle sees much less than that. I used the ladder to change bulbs, caulk around lights which tend to be a source of leaks and to polish the area above the windshield. Just from your picture and looking at the slope of your windshield a ladder would rest against the front cap anyways and not the windshield just block the base of the ladder.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd leave it alone. You'll survive with one light out.

Or...take a trip out here to California and I'll do it for free.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hire a mobile tech and have ALL the clearance lights replaced with LEDs (will last many, many years) and to reseal the lights while the tech is up there. Maybe even reseal the whole roof is necessary.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
atikovi wrote:
Not a fear of heights just don't like that there is no railing or anything on the sides. It's only 12 feet but might as well be standing on the ledge of a skyscraper. Might ask the place that did the inspection if they can replace it.

12 feet will do it depending on how you land
Oh and I'm a confirmed acrophob.. I still work on my roof but I'm a confirmed acrophob. I don't much like it up there)

Now I am not 100% sure of the angle on your windshield. On mine the ladder (when hitting above the glass) is at the proper angle

To tell if a ladder is at the proper angle.. Turns out you have a built in protractor (Well most folks do) Place the toe of your shoes against the feet of the ladder.. Reach out and grab the rung closest to sholder height.

Arm straight. Hand nicely wrapped around the run (Like you would wrap it around say the handle of a hammer) Proper angle

Fingers barley touching Too flat
Hits your wrist not hand Too steep.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a problem once I get on the roof it's getting on and of the ladder where I'm uncomfortable. Especially since I mounted my sat dome to the side of the ladder. I use a small scaffold to get on and off the roof now. Much easier and safer in my opinion.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My rig is .. about the same shape.

Ladder makes contact ABOVE the windshield Depending on how far you have to reach I'd suggest strapping a 2x whatever plank to the "back" of the ladder to give you some more "Toe space" as you pass the windshield. Cloth cover the plank.

(I actually use a rubber like "Bumper" designed for the job)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
In a similar situation, I used two ladders on either side near the windshield. Then I got a Werner extendable aluminum plank, and put it across the steps of the ladder across the front of the windshield. Then climb one of the ladders and go out on the plank. This setup needs to be on a solid surface where the ladders will be stable. I felt comfortable enough to work with that setup.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
You could rent a bucket lift, but it would be costly. Probably cheaper to pay someone to do what you need done unless you have other needs for the lift. Given the angles, it would probably still be an awkward reach.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
atikovi wrote:
Not a fear of heights just don't like that there is no railing or anything on the sides. It's only 12 feet but might as well be standing on the ledge of a skyscraper. Might ask the place that did the inspection if they can replace it.

I'm with ya on that! I've been on the roof of my travel trailer and now fifth wheel dozens of times over the years but this Spring, when I was up there, it felt different. I wasn't nearly as sure of myself as in the past. When I climbed back down, I stood there and said....What the h*ll happened to me!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
A ladder at that angle to get over the windshield would not be very safe, even if tied off. In my volunteer fire days, safest set up for a ladder was 1 foot out for every 4' in height. Possibly one of the 4section articulated ladders,if you or a friend have one.
By the time you rented scaffolding, it would probably be cheaper just to pay someone, young person in neighborhood with mechanical skills, or even a small neighborhood shop.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

atikovi
Explorer
Explorer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a fear of heights or a condition that will not allow you to get on the roof, ask a friend or bite the bullet and hire a mobile RV Tech.

I have a 96 Southwind with the same configuration. I don't mind getting on the roof. However, I did try scaffolding on both sides with planks between each. It didn't get me close enough, safely, to do the job. To me it's easier and safer to do the job from the roof.
When you start using planks, ladders, forklifts etc. around the windshield you can easily have a bad ending.

And while you're working on the clearance lights, replace them with new LED units. Caulk them well, they will be trouble free and last a long time.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Go up on the roof lay down on your belly and fix the lights. Use to have a Itasca that had lights like those. replaced the bulbs a few times. Worked for me.

Admin
Go to a equipment rental yard and rent a scaffold that is a little higher than the roof for 1/2 hour and do it in their yard.

Fork lift with a plank on it

Admin
Admin
RV.net