cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galveston - Bolivar Ferry

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I've been riding the Bolivar Ferry for many, many years but have never had my trailer on it. For those that have, is it comfortable to board the ferry pulling a longer travel trailer? Max length allowed is 65' but my trailer/truck combination will only be about 50'. My comfort level is challenged by the tight lanes on the ferry.
7 REPLIES 7

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, the attendants at Bolivar Ferry handle a lot of RV's and will direct you to the right lane or even occasionally pull you over to the side if the boat is almost full so you will have room to board on the next one.
My close calls have been my own extended side mirrors when towing. The lanes are somewhat narrow and the drivers coming into the lanes beside you may not be careful when pulling alongside. Retract the mirrors as soon as you reach your parking spot if you can.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
As we boarded with our 24ft TT, we dropped the bars on the WDH as we went from the concrete to crossing the ramp.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
I've been riding the Bolivar Ferry for many, many years but have never had my trailer on it. For those that have, is it comfortable to board the ferry pulling a longer travel trailer? Max length allowed is 65' but my trailer/truck combination will only be about 50'. My comfort level is challenged by the tight lanes on the ferry.

No problem with our 36ft Coach and toad at the time.
Easy on and easy off.
Just couldn't get over it being for free.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We came across and used the ferry several times. The crew knows how to put you on board. Pictures are on the clicky below. No issues and no cost. It's run by the Texas DOT....Dennis

Bolivar Ferry
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto of 2112. never a problem. Turn the LP tanks off while waiting to board then pull to the side after leaving and turn the LP system back on.

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
I have not been on the Boliver ferry lately but my experience with the Port Aransas ferries is they always place my rig to take up 2 lanes and no problems.

Explorer II
Explorer II
They always put me in the inside lane, pull straight on and off. Just follow the attendants direction and you will be fine. I'm more nervous about the car doors so close to my camper.

Don't forget to turn off your propane just before you board. And don't forget to turn it back on once you get off 🙂
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857