Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generator isolators

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Any isolator experts here?

I am redoing the generator setup on the back of my little Toyota. I will be putting my Honda EU2000 in a aluminum box mounted to a steel frame.

I ordered isolators off Amazon and testing they seem to do little to isolate vibrations. Anyone have any ideas on how to isolate the box from the frame for a reasonable amount of money?

It appears these are too hard?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WHXDYC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
12 REPLIES 12

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Poking around the net and came across this. Interesting, short video, what they did was hang a microscope off bungee cords! Does not seem practical for my use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3xAwYo7Dqg

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. Concrete base would work well, however I have a V6 Toyota I really do not have room for any weight to add! On my DP I did use 3/4 inch plywood with lead sheeting, mass helps alot!

I am trying to muddle my way through durometers, axial loads, price etc. Even contemplating buying silicone sheet and making my own!

I did see one application where the genset was hung in a rubber basket, I do not have room for that. Think it would work well!

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
I got mine at McMaster Carr. Many types available.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Durometer is the measure of how firm the rubber is. A durometer around 60 is about the hardness of a car tire. The higher the number the firmer the rubber. my guess is something around a 40 to 50 durometer is what you're looking for,
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
there is a bunch of different ones here Floor Mount Vibration Isolators

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Vibration Isolators Somehow you'll have to figure out how to choose one that isn't too soft or too hard.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Damping is the key word and adding mass is the key to calming the damping effect. It would add significant weight but building a concrete form to pour about 2" to 3" thick block just larger than the generator base. You will need to carefully position 4 holes in the block just to keep the genny from dancing around. You still may be able to use the feet you are showing.

In my prior life I had 3 large squirrelcage, combustion air, blowers about 50" diameter, driven by 75 hp motors. The shaft bearings were mounted on fabricated steel frames about 4-1/2ft. tall, made of 5/8" welded steel. I could not keep the pedestal bearings from self destruction, no matter how carefully the fans were balanced. I finally had holes burned in the side of the pedestal housings and filled them with concrete. Had lots of non-believers but this magically solved the problem.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll bet an AC supply company would have just what you need (attic furnace/blower) installs.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of people know about them: Vibration damper design
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously I have no idea what I am doing, search for
dampers did help a bit. Am now trying to figure out hardness scales to find something soft. Not a lot of people around that know about isolators/dampers.

Years ago I had an old beat up garden tractor that had a bone jarring ride, I cut a couple rubber balls in half,, added them, worked wonders! May have to do the same thing here. I am returning the Amazon isolators, not much help at all.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you need a solid base for the dampers to work well and the platform hanging off the rear of your camper is anything but.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MrWizard
I think the word you want is "dampers"
Aka Rubber Mounts, or spring mounts
Yeah the seller called them Isolators

They should support the generator , but should have some give so as to absorb the vibration
In my experience, big soft round donut style,
Hole in the middle No built in mounting stud
Work best
Those in your link are more like stiff rubber feet you screw onto the bottom of the generator

Around these forums
Isolator is used to mean 12vdc power and battery separation
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s