cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachman Catalinas

ejd43
Explorer
Explorer
Looking in to getting a coachman Catalina. Does anyone have one? What are the pros and cons? I want to do as much research as I can and want some first hand testimonials. Thanks all!!
7 REPLIES 7

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
RICK-ards Red wrote:
We have a Catalina, 25RKS for 4 years now. We have not had any major issues (knock on wood). We like to travel so the floor plan works real good for us. It pulls very well behind the truck - highly recommended.

We too have that model and can't guess how many miles, it is early 2000s model.

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Catalina, 25RKS for 4 years now. We have not had any major issues (knock on wood). We like to travel so the floor plan works real good for us. It pulls very well behind the truck - highly recommended.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS last year after my previous trailer was totaled in an accident. Bought it from a private seller who took excellent care of it. Checked all systems and thorough walk thru with the sellers, and got a good deal on the price, far below what RVTrader had comparable units priced at.

For me, the floorplan is ideal, with one caveat. It has the super slide on the street side which opens it up considerably, and with options such as a TV and fireplace that I didn't have in my previous rig. Nice touches, good to have, but probably won't use the TV very much, but the fireplace/heater will come in handy on chilly mornings in the Colorado mountains.

The caveat? When the super slide is in, the rear bathroom is not accessible UNLESS you leave the bathroom door open and make sure it's clear of the slide out when it's in. One can then squeeze by to get into the bathroom if needed. Just have to remember to make SURE that the door knob is not in the way of the super slide when you put it out.

The quality of the trailer is a definite step up from the older Keystone Outback that it replaced. Cabinets, fixtures, furniture all better quality. I like the aluminum siding on it rather than the fiberglass siding and also like the front endcap. Also like that it has a lot of windows in the slide out, and the pleated window covers. One caveat about the front end cap is it's prone to scratches if you're not careful. And the previous owner had it replaced due to hail damage.

Water/waste capacities not quite as much as the Outback, which was 50/40/40. The Catalina is 40/40/35. Should still work fine for my needs.

Very satisfied with the quality and comfort of my trailer. This trailer should be the last one I'll need, plan on keeping it for the remainder of my life.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

ejd43
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. We found a unit but it looks like it has some peeling in the front end. Looks more cosmetic than structure. It looks like a clear coat peeled. Is it fixable or would the front end need replaced? I will try to attach pictures when I get to my computer.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Recently owned a couple of entry level units from both Jayco and Coahmen. The Jaycos were not great, but better. Coachmen is all about price, price, price.

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
I had one for six years and spent a lot of time in it. It is considered an entry level camper but....it had everything I needed at the time and was easy to upgrade and mod a few things. I recently bought a new Signature Series Rockwood, considered a little on the high end with every upgrade and option and had a few problems right out of the gate. It's all been fixed/replaced but point is they are like buying trucks. Some are great and some have problems right off of the assembly line. I believe what ever you get, you use as much as you can that first year while it is covered under a bumper to bumper warranty. Anything wrong will show its face by then.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Probably no better or worse than any other make in that price range. All the appliances are basically the same as are the materials used to build one. The big difference is the guys that put it together at the time.
The trick is to find a floor plan you like and then go over that particular unit very carefully.
Iโ€™m sure you will find people who will sing Coachmenโ€™s praises and others who will condemn them.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch