cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hallmark vs Northstar

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer
I know the Hallmark is quite a bit more $$'s new, but I can get a new Northstar, loaded, about $5K cheaper than a 4YO Hallmark, then I still have to add AC and Powered jacks to it, so make that $7000 more than the NS. Both compariable in size, etc.

I'm also 65 so likely to be the last popup TC I will buy.

Thoughts??
16 REPLIES 16

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
LabMan1945 wrote:
I have owned two NorthStar 850SC campers and have found them to be great value. As of last fall I put over 225K miles on them with no problems (other than my fault screw ups!)Rex at NorthStar treated me very well when I showed up at the factory for repairs. Especially when I arrived about 4:00PM on a Friday with a caved in back end - don't ask! He looked at it, said they could fix it and could I be there at 6:00AM Saturday morning. I spent the night in the factory lot and by 1:00PM Saturday I was on my way with a fixed camper. No other outfit that I have dealt with would be that accommodating! I can't say enough good about the company or their product.

This, Northstar is a fantastic company to deal with.:W

LabMan1945
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned two NorthStar 850SC campers and have found them to be great value. As of last fall I put over 225K miles on them with no problems (other than my fault screw ups!)Rex at NorthStar treated me very well when I showed up at the factory for repairs. Especially when I arrived about 4:00PM on a Friday with a caved in back end - don't ask! He looked at it, said they could fix it and could I be there at 6:00AM Saturday morning. I spent the night in the factory lot and by 1:00PM Saturday I was on my way with a fixed camper. No other outfit that I have dealt with would be that accommodating! I can't say enough good about the company or their product.
Dodge 3500 CTD.
Northstar 850SC
Constant companions - Scoter and Skye - Black Labs (better than most people)

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Hallmark campers are pricey but the resale on a well maintained one is very good. We were thinking about selling our custom built 2011 Cuchara last summer as my wife wants a Class A. I stopped in at Hallmark to let them look it over and get their opinion on what my asking price should be. I was pleasantly surprised when they told me high 20’s to low 30’s in this condition, “it really is perfect and stored inside when not camping.” I have since seen a few similar units for sale and their asking price was in line with what Hallmark said. I didn’t end up putting it on the market yet but I was happy about what I learned about the resale value.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
DP Service temporarily unavailable! :S
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The hallmark could quite possibly have a N-S bed, it's a $3800 option. Also it could have bed extension - another option. The E-W layout reduces the amount of overhang over the cab and consquently eliminates some of the necessary reinforcment in order to hold up the longer cantilever of the N-S bed. The E-W layout is a shorter, lighter, stronger, and less complex build. To my eye the shorter bed looks better.

i did read the review where the 4wc did condensate and the hallmark did not on the same trip. It was a cold weather trip near Artic circle. 2 Fantastic fans should be able to minimize that if used properly. The 4wc is an aluminum frame w aluminum walls and roof.

Sometimes wood or a composite of wood is a better choice when it comes to mimimizing the conduction of heat and eliminating cold material in contact w materials inside a warmer and perhaps more humid enviroment.

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
Something else to think about is the east/west bed or north/south bed.
29 inches of head room I would rather roll out of an east/west bed.

Seams. Not sure if Hallmark construction has no seams but even if it does have seams, water intrusion is not going to damage it as bad like a wood frame camper. Think the frame is all fiberglass over on a Hallmark

I'm not talking down North Star or his brother Bundutec. They are strong well built campers, but you will need to pay attention to seams on any camper. Especially a wood framed one.

Four Wheel that someone mentioned are good off road campers. I have read the condensation is bad since it is aluminum framed. Would need to crack a vent in any camper but you might need to open it a little more on a Four Wheel. Might have to do a little more wiping down the soft wall in the mornings

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
In that case grab the Hallmark - chances are this time next year you can prob get back every penny you put into it. Obviously the NS is going to lose a big portion of the purchase price to depreciation. If I had only one shot to make it happen I'd choose the Hallmark hands down.

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
Dagwood_55 wrote:
OP here. I guess my question, instead of which is better, is more of a question of if the 4YO Hallmark was worth as much as $7000 more than a new NS.

And it might come down to resale, or if the fiberglass roof/panels are worth more or what??

Thanks

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Being in the market for a popup myself I am asking the same question. I'm close to putting down stupid money on a Hallmark knowing full well I'm going to take a huge beating on it if it doesn't work out.

I'm a just couple years younger than you so it will be my first and last TC. I don't want to buy and trade on up to what I want - I don't have time to get bogged down w equpment that isn't a pleasure to use.

Think of other things you've bought, do you enjoy a mid-level shimano reel or do you get by the cheapest reel you can find? Did you buy a ranger bass boat or a lesser brand?

One example is under the bed. The NS has unfinished wood, the Hallmark has a fiberglass sandwich. There are probably a multitude of slight differences. Do little things like that add up to you? If not the NS is new and ready to go.

If you don't buy the Hallmark let me know where it is pls. I can't find one used that's close to what I want.

You hit the nail on the head about another point. I'm in the same boat. I want to buy a good brand at a good value but at this time I'm not even sure me and wifey will even like this camping lifestyl. Thankfully we have a very nice 5er, Grand Design, that we will juse for extended stays and use the TC for quickie trips or traveeling trips.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dagwood_55 wrote:
OP here. I guess my question, instead of which is better, is more of a question of if the 4YO Hallmark was worth as much as $7000 more than a new NS.

And it might come down to resale, or if the fiberglass roof/panels are worth more or what??

Thanks

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Being in the market for a popup myself I am asking the same question. I'm close to putting down stupid money on a Hallmark knowing full well I'm going to take a huge beating on it if it doesn't work out.

I'm a just couple years younger than you so it will be my first and last TC. I don't want to buy and trade on up to what I want - I don't have time to get bogged down w equpment that isn't a pleasure to use.

Think of other things you've bought, do you enjoy a mid-level shimano reel or do you get by the cheapest reel you can find? Did you buy a ranger bass boat or a lesser brand?

One example is under the bed. The NS has unfinished wood, the Hallmark has a fiberglass sandwich. There are probably a multitude of slight differences. Do little things like that add up to you? If not the NS is new and ready to go.

If you don't buy the Hallmark let me know where it is pls. I can't find one used that's close to what I want.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about an Alaskan, gives you the advantages of a pop up but the security and quietness of a hard side? Also you don’t have to stoop down to get in and out the door of a pop up.

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
When I was looking at Popups, I visited both the Hallmark factory as well as a large NS dealer in Colorado. I felt both make really nice campers but Hallmark is more on the line of a custom pop up where NS makes a lot more campers. I think that is the reason Hallmark is much more expensive. They market themselves that way and you can definitely tell the difference when inspecting both.
I ended up at the end of my research and buying journey purchasing a hard side. Today, if I were to get a pop up I would lean seriously toward a 4 Wheel Camper. My plan would be to leave it on my truck full time and they are really designed to do this. Nothing against Hallmark and North Star at all, I just really like the 4 Wheel Camper.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go look at both and you'll have a lot more confidence in your decision no matter which one you choose. I would also advise you to look at four wheel camper as well. They seem to have a very strong reputation and following.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have nothing but good to say about my Northstar. I also have to say that dealing with Northstar was a pleasure. If there's an option you don't see on their site, talk to Rex. If they can do it, they will.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer