cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramp recommendation for large senior dog for Class A?

LoungeLady
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! Our 95# chocolate lab is starting to get arthritic. I've done some google searching and review reading but wanted to get some recs from actual users (or their owners). I'm looking at an 8' GoPlus ramp. Does anyone have any experience and can they recommend the ramp they have used? We have an Outlaw toy hauler -- he can use the main ramp into the garage but this isn't functional for general use. Thank you for any help!
5 REPLIES 5

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
After purchasing a expensive telescoping fiberglass ramp the Collies hate and was very heavy as well I made my own. Still have the ramp if you were closer I would give it to you.

I used 3/8 plywood and used 1x2 around the edge for strength. I put wide traction tape to cover the top. Very reasonable to build and the Collies are use to using it. I keep it in the back of the truck for storage. You can build the proper length so the ramp is not to steep as long as it will fit where you plan on storing it. This is lightweight and strong (Collies weight is 85#).

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have used a Petstep folding ramp for years for our 85 lb Goldens and they use it with out hesitation. Very solid and non slip. I occasionally walk on it myself at 175 lbs and no problem.
First we bought a telescoping ramp with a thin carpet like material to walk on. But the ramp was a little shaky and the material a little slick and they did not much like it. So we got rid of that one.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
The one I used for my senior golden was...

Here

Be careful of getting anything shorter than 72 inches as it will be too steep.
RVing since 1995.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
We use a telescoping ramp made by Solvit to get our 210lbs English Mastiff into the truck. Lightweight aluminum design and easy slide to extend/retract. It goes between 39-72” which could be steep depending on how high you need to go.

See here.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
My elderly dogs simply wouldn't walk up a ramp (unless it was so stoutly-built that it was impossible to use). I found they were happier being helped up the steps using a "handle" (simply a wide fleece-covered band that went around their chest, with a handle on the top) My late Aussie would wait at the stairs for me to "put his handle on". And MY level of effort wasn't really all that much - I wasn't carrying him, just giving some stability and forward motion.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!