Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Truck 4x4 or 4x2 ??

perrodiablo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

Finally going to beak down and buy a new 3/4 ton F-250. I want to buy a 1/2 ton towable 5ver so I know it will take at least a F-250. My big question...do I really need a 4 wheel drive? It's not just the matter of the money. If I don't need it why have it. I do not go boondocking in the Sahara. We pretty much stay at parks. Plus it is a few inches lower which makes it a little easier on me and the wife.

So I am thinking a F-250 with the new 7.3 gas V8 with 2 wheel drive.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Tom
Tom & Lara R.
Grand Prairie, Texas
2007 30' Rockport TT
63 REPLIES 63

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Today's physics lesson...

If you carry a long cable (or several tow straps you can link together) along with some way to attach said cable to something sturdy (or an old truck axle and 5 lb shop hammer), you don't even need a winch. Hook one end of the cable to your vehicle and the other to a tree (or the axle after you've pounded it in the ground), pulling the cable as tight as you can. Grab the middle of the cable and walk sideways as far as you can. You'll either move your vehicle or pull the tree out by the roots (I =did= say "sturdy".) Yes, it takes some time and effort, but it =will= work. This is how my h.s. math teacher told us how he did it on the 2 occasions he got stuck in a sandy wash. The other thing he told us was, "of course, it's a whole lot easier not to get stuck in the first place, so scout your route first." :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd,
I agree that staying in 2wd as a long as possible is a good strategy. It give you a lot of feedback about how the road or trail is. It gives you a chance to perfect your technique. Most people are anxious to "try out their 4wd."

The worse the roads and trails the more you need a shovel, a tow strap, a handyman, a come along, a winch, a deadman and whatever else you can find.

If you have "never needed 4wd" you have probably missed out on a lot of the good country out there. I have worked in every western state and gotten stuck in all of them. In Alaska there are no roads so we got helicopter support.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have 2WD always carry a tow line & shackles onboard. Tim Allen, ARGH, ARGH, ARGH, & his big burly 4WD is never far away always looking for a reason to actually use his 4WD & get you unstuck.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
ppine wrote:
Two wheel drive is great if you
Live in the flat lands
Live where there is no snow
Never leave the pavement
Don't travel much

Otherwise you need 4wd. Then you can get stuck in worse places.

I wouldnt have a 2WD so I always tell people, like you said a 4WD will just get you stuck farther from the the highway

Nope drive in 2W until stuck then switch to 4X4, unstuck go back to 2W. 4X4 all the time you better have a winch & equipment to get unstuck.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Guessing about 80% of the Ram CTDS in my area are 4x4. I've never needed or wanted 4x4 in my geographical area. That actually made my truck harder to find because most on the lots are 4x4. If you think you need it then by all means go for.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Live in the flat lands
Never leave the pavement
Don't travel much

I wouldnt have a 2WD so I always tell people, like you said a 4WD will just get you stuck farther from the the highway
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Live in the flat lands
Never leave the pavement
Don't travel much

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I've always felt that I needed a 4x4 but I have to admit in all my years camping I have never needed it. Like others have said, resale on a 4x4 is much better and will sell much faster.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
laknox wrote:

Personally, I won't have another 2wd truck. Having 4wd helps on dirt roads that have washboards (you don't have to be boondocking to appreciate this)

Grew up on dirt washboard roads...never had an issue with 2wd.

The one thing I will give is low range is nice for backing up if there is a steep grade...but just nice, I've been on some pretty steep sites with 2wd and always got there without smoking the transmission.

Makes life a lot more comfortable running in 4wd on washboards. Even towing my FW, the rear can step out a bit. Can also be a lot safer. You come upon some washboards unexpectedly and have to slow down quick, you =can= swap ends when the rear tires decide to bounce. BTDT, at about 20-25 mph.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
94-D2 wrote:
I use the low range box on my 3500 every time the 5’er goes in or out of my property. 10-12% 1/4 mile grade on a private road, and steep rise on my docking pad and slight grade in a turn on gravel road for a turnaround. 4wd not necessary but the low gear box is really nice to have. All considered, it comes down to wants and needs. The extra equipment it a nice to have. Therefore, value is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm in the same boat, getting into our normal boondocking site. Road's rough, but doable in a sedan if you're careful; about 200 yards of rocks in a couple spots in a mile. Having the 4LO just allows me to creep over the rocky areas without straining the tranny or causing a lot of rocking.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
This is a RV forum. In the context of using the truck for the movement of the RV, how many have actually NEEDED to use 4WD & how often?

IMO the biggest decision is whether to get a SRW or a DRW. The difference will be appreciated everytime the trailer goes on the back.

I have a 2WD DRW. It is a whole lot nicer than basic work truck trim. Absolutely love the truck. Yes, I have been stuck a few times with the trailer on the back. Each time has been at a special event not using a normal CG. Each time I was able to either get myself out or the event had machinery there to pull people out. I was not alone. There were plenty with 4X4s getting stuck.

What I wish I could have over a 4X4 is a locking diff. All that weight over locked DRW has to make a huge difference over power to one rear wheel & a lightly loaded front wheel.

You'd think a locking diff would make a difference but I find it to be useless. With my pick up, if I can't move in 2 wheel I often try locking the the diff just for kicks. I don't remember it ever getting me anywhere. On the other hand it is very seldom that 4 wheel drive won't get me out. On big trucks locking the diffs makes a huge difference.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never owned a 4WD truck and I've owned several trucks in my life. Currently on my 5th one. Through the years I've always ordered 2WD with limited slip differential and only been stuck three times since 1978. It always happens in my back yard when trying to put the boat under the storage shed. I cannot justify the added expense, height and insurance cost of 4WD. Why go down the road hundreds of thousands of miles in the past 40 years with an additional differential and transfer case I'm not using.

I will also comment on your engine selection. The 7.3 V8 gas engine from Ford with a 10 speed automatic is getting great reviews on YouTube and other forums. The additional cost of a diesel is not necessarily a must have unless you are pulling HEAVY all the time. If your trailer weighs less than 12,000 pounds it's not necessary. When I replace my Ram Cummins this is what I would choose. In my opinion they have ruined the diesel with all the emissions hardware. I don't need to spend an additional $8k for a diesel.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ramyankee wrote:
If you don't have need for a 4x4 get the 4x2. In our area resale is much better for the 4x4. The 4x4 will lower your payload a small amount.
I will never have anything but the 4wheel drive but most of my life has been spent in mountain/snow country.

Never made it past the 2nd post (above).

OP get whichever one rings your chimes.

Having had two 4 x 4 trucks and two 4 x 2 trucks - as well as a place in the mountains (7K ft of elevation) - and plenty of mtn roads with snow -
I learned the only reason I needed the 4 x 4 was to save the chore of putting chains on the 4 x 2 vehicles - when chains were req'd. (4x4 was just have the chains with you).

Never needed or used - the 4 x 4 other than the above, which was just for "show & tell" *if* you were asked.

If you like to go off roading - maybe a good reason (I preferred a jeep for that - instead of beating up my truck).

BTW - If you get a 4 x 4 (or a 4 x 2) - be sure to order a limited slip rear end. Without it - the 4 x 4 isn't really 4 x 4, LOL.

~

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
My tow vehicle was a Dodge Ram 3500, 4WD, SRW, 6-speed stick tranny. I rarely needed 4WD while driving, but found it handy when maneuvering my fiver into a spot. The much lower gear reduction in 4WD made it much easier on the clutch. At least that was my experience. I don't know if this procedure would also benefit a vehicle with an automatic tranny, but I think it couldn't hurt.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)