Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ONAN generator no start

car54Don
Explorer
Explorer
Onan gas generator not stating.
Chassis engine running. Batteries charged.
Press start button - sounds like rapid fire gun.

How do I add video here??

thanks
Don
6 REPLIES 6

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
Are the house batteries charged? The Genset uses the house battery for starting. You may need to plug into power or use a charger to bring the house battery up. It may work to hold the aux sw on the dash while starting the genset. (If the battery has enough power to close the relay)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
From your post it sounds like the engine is not cranking. Will it crank if your push the combiner button on the dash? Clean all battery connections first. Does it turn over? If you have a clamp-on amp meter check to see if amps are getting to the starter. If you don't have an ammeter back your tow car and connect jumper cables directly to the genset. Will it turn over now?

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
If you're hearing a rapid clicking (not all that loud) it could just be the fuel pump not getting fuel. Make sure you have enough gas in the tank.

If it's not cranking, check connections as mentioned above.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Check all your connections between the battery and the generator, both grounds and positive wires. While a bad starter can certainly cause the clicking you're hearing, a poor connection and the consequent votlage drop at the generator when cranking can do the same thing. A bad starter solenoid in the generator, if it's separate from the starter motor as I think most are, could also be another cause.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
That "machine gun" sound suggests a failed starter gear that's failing to engage with the flywheel. Depending on the model, it may be possible to replace the gear mechanism, or it may require replacing the entire starter. If the unit is older, a complete starter would likely be the better choice anyway.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you check the circuit breakers on the generator? Remove the cover and (at least on my generator), you will find rocker switches for the circuit breakers. I've had mine trip and the first time it happened, I would press the start button on the dash, and all I would get was the clicking sound of the generator trying to start. Once I removed the cover and flipped the circuit breaker switches, the problem was solved.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption