cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing with levelers down?

JC435
Explorer
Explorer
When you store your RV for even a short time is it beneficial to lower the levelers to take some weight off of the tires? Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I figure if it happens one can simply loosen the flexible hydraulic line connection at the leveler to allow fluid to drain out as the ram portion is moved back up. Haven't had to do it yet but it should work. A little messy but not a big deal. Could do this in a couple of minutes.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The only issue I can see storing with jacks down, is that if there is an issue and they are stuck in the down position - you aren't going anywhere.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

sprint99
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Needed or not, I always store our class c with the hydraulic leveling extended. While it my โ€œnotโ€ be necessary, I feel better having the suspension โ€œunloadedโ€! It also maintains our unit level, as our parking spot is not perfectly level! memtb

I do as well. Ours has spent the majority of its life up on the jacks. Never had an issue and have spoken directly to jack manufacturer whom said "That's why you have them, to use them." No long term issues if we just spray the extended cylinders with a dry lubricant, which we do.

As long as one uses their head when setting them, there's no worries for over flexing the frame or all the other crazy worries I see people post about. People just need to use common sense.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Needed or not, I always store our class c with the hydraulic leveling extended. While it my โ€œnotโ€ be necessary, I feel better having the suspension โ€œunloadedโ€! It also maintains our unit level, as our parking spot is not perfectly level! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Depends on your definition of short time perhaps. Regardless I always put my levelers down when parked for at my home even for just a few days. May not be a lot of help but makes sense to me to take the load off the tires and suspension. For longer stays at home, I read In a Goodyear (I think) guide that the tire pressures should be increased by 25% but remember to set it back to normal when getting ready to go on the road. Some may do this, some may disagree with this, but thatโ€™s what the tire company said to do.

From the Goodyear RV tire guide...

storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.

โ€ข Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
โ€ข Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
โ€ข Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but donโ€™t exceed the rim manufacturerโ€™s inflation capacity.
โ€ข Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have accumulated from the road.
โ€ข Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
โ€ข Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle canโ€™t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level

Agreed. Stored our Sunstar in the driveway with the leveling jacks down. Only issue might be keeping the rams and the rest lubricated and treated for corrosion. Don't have leveling jacks on the Navion. Yet.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on your definition of short time perhaps. Regardless I always put my levelers down when parked for at my home even for just a few days. May not be a lot of help but makes sense to me to take the load off the tires and suspension. For longer stays at home, I read In a Goodyear (I think) guide that the tire pressures should be increased by 25% but remember to set it back to normal when getting ready to go on the road. Some may do this, some may disagree with this, but thatโ€™s what the tire company said to do.

From the Goodyear RV tire guide...

storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.

โ€ข Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
โ€ข Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
โ€ข Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but donโ€™t exceed the rim manufacturerโ€™s inflation capacity.
โ€ข Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have accumulated from the road.
โ€ข Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
โ€ข Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle canโ€™t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have the auto-level on our fifth wheel and we store it on a sloped parking area that is paved, but we also have electric available, so our fridge stays plugged in and running. We always hit the auto level since it takes about a minute and a half to do.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure you know what you have...stabilizers or levelers. Levelers will stabilize but stabilizers are not built to level.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
This was in the Class A forum but it's the same principle.

Jacks in storage question
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
IMHO, tires really dont mind having normal weight on them.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see no use in doing that. The design of the vehicle, the weight rating on the tires etc are all factored in.
Tire covers, proper inflation is sufficient in my thinking.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing you mean stabilizers? No need really. Can't hurt but not needed in my opinion.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)