cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer
When ordering a new Popup TC (Bundutec), you get a choice of either a rear mounted, small window unit or a roof AC. Whats the pros and cons of each?? Or which make more sense in a popup?? The window unit is about half price of the roof AC.

Thanks,
50 REPLIES 50

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
After owning a Northstar 850SC pop up, I will be ordering a Capri Camper Retreat for my long bed F-350.

The roof mount air was like a crop duster in the camper. No way I could sleep with that level of noise. I guess some people are not as sensitive to noise while sleeping, but it was unbearable. Decided a hard side would suit me better as well.

The Capri is a custom build and the option to have a window unit is one of the primary reasons to go with them. If I couldn't get a window unit, I don't think I would even buy a truck camper.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
The last two times I did it,I wrapped the AC in a moving blanket then used a rope to pull it up top...Works best with two people but one can do it..The blanket keeps it from banging the sides of the camper..Then the rest is easy...

That's a good idea. But in all reality what's a piece of cake for some is a nightmare for others.

I live in a 40 ft TT. I must be used to the AC noise because it doesn't bother me in the least.

But then I have no problem sleeping in a running Freightliner with the AC running wither.

Years ago I had a 1969 vintage Excel TT.
I bought a window AC for it and only used it once when we met friends from out of state in an RV park. We only boondocked in higher elevations and never had a need for AC.

The windows slid open and the aluminum frame fit right in the grooves of the AC unit. I put a small wedge in the window that slid open to keep it tight against the AT and cut a piece pf Plexiglas to fit on top.

It didn't require any modifications and only took a few minutes to put in place.

It worked well but if it was something that I would have used all the time I would have bought and installed a roof unit.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
burningman wrote:
Installing a roof air is ridiculously easy, Iโ€™ve done it several times. It pretty much just bolts right on.

No doubt, but you still have to get nearly 100 lbs on the roof.

Is not that bad..The last two times I did it,I wrapped the AC in a moving blanket then used a rope to pull it up top...Works best with two people but one can do it..The blanket keeps it from banging the sides of the camper..Then the rest is easy...

But they are noisy and expensive..I'd rather change out a roof air than change the heating unit in an RV fridge anyday...I didn't enjoy that...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

Even if you don't want to buy, you can always rent manual stacker.
I saved mine from construction jobs I used to have.
It is 500 lb rated and I have 16' extensions for it.
Beside taking AC from camper roof, I had marble table top, who having 3 more friends - we were unable to carry on 2nd floor.
I used the stacker to lift the marble up to balcony railing and with help of wife tilted in on the floor and carried away with dolly.
So if you own a farm or are DIY around the house, you will love to have it.
Bought my used for about $200.
Here is picture of newer one listed on ebay.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
my roof AC is for sale. Make me an offer.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
burningman wrote:
Installing a roof air is ridiculously easy, Iโ€™ve done it several times. It pretty much just bolts right on.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I did a lot of camping in the Nevada desert. I had a window A/C as an emergency backup.
The first thing I learned was that thing simply wasnโ€™t able to cool the camper when itโ€™s really hot.
The roof air would refrigerate the thing.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Is that how other side of the camper looks like?

When we might have different favorite spots for camping, for me main advantage of RV camping is travel to different zones.
Years ago we've been camping mostly in Sierra.
AC and generators were dead weight as we swim thru the day and spend evenings at campfires.
Now we mostly camp in AZ and at RV park in Phoenix I have seen 5-ers and motorhomes who not only had roof AC, but also addition of window ACs.
Seem the most convenient spot for adding is slide side windows.
Just don't try to move the slide before AC removal.
Now how about this unit?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
An option I am considering doing excpet for the view that window gives..From a good guy on Lance owners..

He did a great job and saved the window for if he ever sold it..

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
Bundutec will most likely mount in the rear wall and not through a window. If you leave it up to Bundutec to choose the AC it will be a cheaper model than the Home Depot one I mentioned.

I'm not saying for the OP to buy the one I mentioned either. All I'm saying is I would buy the one I mentioned. I've seen some van dwellers use the model I mentioned and know it's a good unit for me to use, if I choose to do so.

I've had roof mounted AC's before and if I had a choice I would not use another. They are not reliable and way more expensive.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

You must camp different than I...

bingo....
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
by cobble I mean taking a standard household AC and sticking it out a window of the RV. and IMHO it is insane to have to mount/un mount a window unit every time you go to move the RV.
bumpy

The benefit is you only mount/take it when you need it..When I use mine,I am staying not moving and the thing is so lite,it's no different than bringing in a small cooler..

You must camp different than I..My camping is all but 100% boondocking in the mountains of Idaho..No neighbors and it could be a week before you see someone drive by..So looking redneck is what we do here because we are..LOL

If it isn't broke..Don't fixit..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
keep in mind that the OP is deciding which to order on a new unit. not cobble up something from Home Depot. I assume in the new unit the AC is on a side wall probably under a counter, and only sticks out an inch or two, just enough to drain/exhaust.
bumpy

Believe it or not, window units are standard for some TCs and trailers. Iโ€™m not sure what cobble you are talking about.

all of the factory installations of "window" type of ACs that I have seen have been mounted thru the wall and nicely enclosed under a table, cabinet top, etc. and certainly not installed in a window.
by cobble I mean taking a standard household AC and sticking it out a window of the RV. and IMHO it is insane to have to mount/un mount a window unit every time you go to move the RV. I certainly have no problem/issue with the "window" type of ACs that I have seen factory installed, other than as I have said when I was looking at Casitas, the wall mounted ACs shortened the hanging clothes closet.
bumpy

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
keep in mind that the OP is deciding which to order on a new unit. not cobble up something from Home Depot. I assume in the new unit the AC is on a side wall probably under a counter, and only sticks out an inch or two, just enough to drain/exhaust.
bumpy

Believe it or not, window units are standard for some TCs and trailers. Iโ€™m not sure what cobble you are talking about.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member