cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recreational Border Crossing

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Gov has just halted entry into Canada for recreational purposes. This could affect your summer plans for vacation in Canada. Also you will not be able to travel through Canada to get to Alaska if the prohibition lasts any length of time. Good Luck.
20 REPLIES 20

Community Alumni
Not applicable
At this point it doesnโ€™t much matter which things are cheaper on which side, the border is closing and so is this thread!
We can have this debate when our lives normalize.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
noteven wrote:
Oh you mean โ€œconsumer buying more stuff to go with my stuff I already haveโ€ travel.

I havenโ€™t met too many US citizens traveling western Canada in search of more pots and pans and a bigger TV. Most seem to enjoy seeing the beautiful scenery, the elbow room, and meeting friendly people.

Please re-read the comments you're referring to.
The comments were about Canadians (us) cross border shopping in the US (them).

Their stuff is usually cheaper than the same items here, even after you convert the $ forex difference. Compare HomeDepot.com versus HomeDepot.ca on 2 identical items, for example. Their price is less than ours, after $ conversion.
When they visit Canada, at our regular prices (in Canada), they'll pay more (here, in Canada), even when their dollar is a lot stronger than ours. For (Canadian) gas, hotels, campgrounds, food, just about everything. Just like we get gouged at home (again, just to be clear, in Canada).

Just to throw in another comment! While prices may be cheaper I find food quality in the US is not as good as it is in Canada. I'm not talking about food safety but just general quality. I've noticed this particularly this past winter, the quality of meat (steaks) isn't what we get get back home at the regular grocery stores. I've noticed other items are similar. You do get what you pay for!

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Oh you mean โ€œconsumer buying more stuff to go with my stuff I already haveโ€ travel.

I havenโ€™t met too many US citizens traveling western Canada in search of more pots and pans and a bigger TV. Most seem to enjoy seeing the beautiful scenery, the elbow room, and meeting friendly people.

Please re-read the comments you're referring to.
The comments were about Canadians (us) cross border shopping in the US (them).

Their stuff is usually cheaper than the same items here, even after you convert the $ forex difference. Compare HomeDepot.com versus HomeDepot.ca on 2 identical items, for example. Their price is less than ours, after $ conversion.
When they visit Canada, at our regular prices (in Canada), they'll pay more (here, in Canada), even when their dollar is a lot stronger than ours. For (Canadian) gas, hotels, campgrounds, food, just about everything. Just like we get gouged at home (again, just to be clear, in Canada).
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

Everything is (was?) less expensive in the US before this mess, even with our feeble loonie.

The only items I found less expensive in usa were eggs and gasoline. I'm comparing Florida to Saskatchewan.

Cottage cheese, sour cream, brick/sliced/grated cheese, baby carrots, half and half, all cheaper before the crash. Clothing (Walmart), housewares (JC Penney/Kohls), tools (Harbor Freight/HD/Lowes), furniture (Art Van, ABC), Amazon stuff that can be ordered online, almost everything. The only thing that isn't that much cheaper is high end electronics, audio, video, computers, automotive. The accessories are cheaper. Most car parts, too.
This is comparing Ontario/Michigan at the border, with a C$0.75 dollar. However, some stuff is still cheaper in the US, even with a C$0.69 dollar, our stuff is marked up that much. Some Ontario businesses gouge us mercilessly, and some businesses lower prices to compete, if they're close to a border town. If you're not on the border, located somewhere inland in Ontario, you'll probably pay even more at home than across the border. We used to be in that boat.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Bob806 wrote:
Thanks Flapper and MDKMDK.

We have been wanting to visit the area & check out the Fundy tides for quite some time. If it gets canceled due to circumstances, we'll just (hopefully) adjust, and keep a similar itinerary in 2021. Maybe even add a Gros Morne trip if we can squeeze it in.

My wife insists it is all Anne of Green Gables fault. She REALLY doesn't want us to come visit! Hurricanes and now Pandemics.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Flapper and MDKMDK.

We have been wanting to visit the area & check out the Fundy tides for quite some time. If it gets canceled due to circumstances, we'll just (hopefully) adjust, and keep a similar itinerary in 2021. Maybe even add a Gros Morne trip if we can squeeze it in.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
MDKMDK wrote:

Everything is (was?) less expensive in the US before this mess, even with our feeble loonie.

The only items I found less expensive in usa were eggs and gasoline. I'm comparing Florida to Saskatchewan.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Bob806 wrote:
I made reservations for Fundy NP, Cape breton Highlands NP a month ago, and was planning on a few Provincial Parks in Nova Scotia as well.

Wait & see is all we can do. They'll probably refund the money due to circumstances.

Yep, me too - have a few reservations in Fundy, NS, and PEI.
Last year Dorian canceled the trip for us. Now this. Not actually canceling yet, but since trip is mid-June to mid-July, odds are pretty good I will be doing so in a month or two. Probably will not bother with the April 2 reservation opening date for one of the CG's I wanted to get in to....
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
So glad I went to Alaska last summer!

Aye, matey, it was great in 2016, too.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Bob806 wrote:
I made reservations for Fundy NP, Cape breton Highlands NP a month ago, and was planning on a few Provincial Parks in Nova Scotia as well.

Wait & see is all we can do. They'll probably refund the money due to circumstances.

Good luck, and hope it works out for you. Those places are among our best for amazing for scenery, and an unforgettable vacation.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Why do people have to cross border travel for vacation during this time is beyond me. Stay in your own country is not such a bad thing to have to endure for how long, maybe one season. Get over it.

The US has miles better "everything" than we can ever hope to have in our socialized democracy country.
We're no better than the UK, Australia, or NZ, when it comes to everything. Pay more, get less. It's that simple.

You can stay in Canada for your vacation if you choose. Your choice.
I still prefer the USA, now, and forever. Greatest country on the planet, bar none, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I hope they get the border re-opened sooner than later.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
So glad I went to Alaska last summer!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8