cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CoronaVirus and Mexico

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I am quite surprised at the lack of Mexican news re the Virus. Have any of the xpats on this forum seen any news? Maybe Chris or Navegator. I expected the IMSS to publicize information and best hygiene practices. We only get US TV so wonder if the Mexican channels and radio are informing the public. In other news we can expect Pemex to really go bankrupt with the price of oil tumbling.

Moisheh
18 REPLIES 18

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There are now more than 50 tested and it's cases in tijuana alone. Keeping track of sick is exponential therefore useless in Mexico.

The Secreteria de Salud declared in three weeks the number of sick will equal California. Schools are closed. Am I to believe cabovWabo and gringo discos are deserted in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta? They are packed at night headlights to tea kettle. I wouldn't visit a gringo hot spot down here for anything. My kids are avoiding Pacific Coast tourist hot spots. Tourists lose half of their IQ quotient when they party. The same goes for many bars in the USA. Giant petri dishes. What a shame. When the disease hits central and southern Mexico the fatalities may reach a hundred thousand among the indigenous tribes with no access to health care. China staffs rural areas with Peoples doctors. Italian Health care is no joke.

MODERATOR'S EDIT: Per the site Admin's request, I am closing all COVID-19 threads and directing future comments to one thread in Around the Campfire.

2019โ€“20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Talleyho69 wrote:
As far as we are concerned, it's like seasonal flu with a public relations person.

We are calling it the beer flu here.

Use common sense, be careful, take care of yourself.

Hi Talleyho69,

I have to disagree.

" This is a letter from Albert Hsu, scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Dear Friends,
So much confusion, misinformation and denial is bouncing around on social media about the coronavirus that I thought I would try to explain, in plain language, why the experts see this as such an emergency.

You will see the claim online that this virus is a lot like the viruses that cause colds, and that if you get it, it will probably just seem like a bad cold and you are very unlikely to die. Depending on who you are, these statements are probably true. But they are incomplete, and the missing information is the key to understanding the problem.

This is a coronavirus that is new to the human population, jumping into people late last year from some kind of animal, probably at a wildlife market in Wuhan, China. It is related to the viruses that cause colds, and acts a lot like them in many ways. It is very easy to transmit through the respiratory droplets that all of us give off. But nobody has ever been exposed to this before, which means nobody has any immunity to it.

The virus is now moving explosively through the human population. While most people will recover, about 20 percent of the people who catch it will wind up with a serious disease. They will get pneumonia that causes shortness of breath, and they may need hospitalization.

Some of those people will get so sick that they cannot be saved and will die of the pneumonia. The overall death rate for people who develop symptoms seems to be 2 or 3 percent. Once we have enough testing to find out how many people caught the virus but did not develop symptoms, that might come down to about 1 percent, optimistically. It could be even lower, but 1 percent is the estimate given to Congress by the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, so we will go with that.
If the number is 1 percent, that is a large number. It is at least 10 times higher than the mortality rate for the seasonal flu, for instance, which in some years kills 60,000 or 70,000 Americans. So just on that math, we could be looking at 600,000 or 700,000 dead in the United States.

But it gets worse.
Older people with existing health problems are much more vulnerable, on average. The mortality rate of coronavirus among people over age 80 may be 15 or 20 percent. It appears to have 7 or 8 percent mortality for people aged 70 to 79.

Here is the terrible part: If you are a healthy younger person, you can catch the virus and, without developing serious symptoms yourself, you can pass it along to older people. In other words, as the virus spreads, it is going to be very easy to go out and catch it, give it to your grandmother and kill her, even though you will not die yourself. You can apparently catch it by touching a door knob or an elevator button, although the likeliest route seems to be droplets spreading through the air directly from one person to another.

Scientists measure the spread of an epidemic by a number called R0, or โ€œR naught.โ€ That number is calculated this way: for every person who develops the illness, how many other people do they give it to before they are cured (or dead) and no longer infectious? The R0 for coronavirus, in the absence of a control strategy, appears to be a number close to 3 โ€“ maybe a bit higher or lower, but in that ballpark. This is an extremely frightening number for such a deadly disease.

Suppose you catch the virus. You will give it to 3 other people, and they will each give it to three others, and so forth. Here is how the math works, where you, the โ€œindex case,โ€ are the first line:

So, in just 15 steps of transmission, the virus has gone from just one index case to 14.3 million other people. Those 15 steps might take only a few weeks. The index person may be young and healthy, but many of those 14 million people will be old and sick, and they will likely die because they got a virus that started in one person's throat.

The United States is not at this point yet, with millions infected, as best we can tell. We donโ€™t really know, because our government has failed us. We are many, many weeks behind other countries in rolling out widespread testing, so we donโ€™t really have a clue how far the thing has spread. We do know that cases are starting to pop up all over the place, with many of the people having no known exposure to travelers from China, so that means this virus has escaped into our communities.

We do not have approved treatments, yet. We do not have a vaccine. The only tool we really have now is to try to slow down the chain of transmission.
This can be done. In other words, R0 is not fixed โ€“ it can be lowered by control measures. If we can get the number below 1, the epidemic will die out. This is the point of the quarantines and the contact-tracing that you are hearing so much about in the news. But the virus is exploding so fast that we will not have the labor available to trace contacts for much longer, so we have to shift strategies. This has already begun, but we are not doing it fast enough.

It is now likely that the majority of Americans will get this virus. But slowing it down is still crucial. Why? Because the healthcare system has limited resources. We only have about a million hospital beds in America. We have fewer than 100,000 ventilators. If millions of Americans get sick enough to need treatment, we will have a calamity on our hands. What will happen is a form of battlefield triage, where the doctors focus on trying to treat the young and allow the older people to die.

This is not theoretical. It is already happening in Italy, where the oldest people are being left alone on hospital gurneys to suffocate to death from pneumonia. They basically drown in their own sputum. There is simply not enough medical capacity to take care of them. The United States appears to be about two weeks behind Italy on the epidemic growth curve.

What do we need to do now? We need to cancel all large gatherings โ€“ all of them. You have probably seen that the N.B.A. has postponed the rest of its season. Other sporting events, concerts, plays and everything else involving large audiences in a small space โ€“ all of it needs to be canceled. Even if these events take place, do not go to them. No lectures, no plays, no movies, no cruises โ€“ nothing.

Stay at home as much as possible.Stay out of restaurants. I would cancel any travel that is not absolutely essential. Work from home if you possibly can. You may have to go buy groceries and medicine, of course, but make the trips quick and purposeful. Wash your hands assiduously after you have been in public places, for a full 20 seconds, soaping up thoroughly and being sure to get between the fingers. Rubbing alcohol will kill the virus, and most strong cleaners such as Lysol will do so as well.

And please stop passing around statements on social media claiming that the situation is not serious or is being exaggerated. This is a national crisis, and conveying misinformation to your friends and family may put their lives in danger."
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess their media isn't all about doom and gloom.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Honesty and Russia / china are oxymorons.

Navigator senor, the most effective sterilizer is 15 liters of agua with five tablespoons of iodine. Hundreds of times more potent than strong diluted clorine.

Dunk hands and do not rinse. Good for 24 hours.

Dunk everything from the market except cardboard for 5 minutes then rinse with fresh water. It will last far longer than if untreated.

MONEY CURRENCY AND COIN IS HAZARDOUS. Sterilize what you can. Bill's are not paper they are linen or plastic. Coins and all. Do not rinse.

Masks protect against hand to mouth or nose touching. Safety eye lenses protect hand to eye infections.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
charlestonsouthern wrote:
All US knows how to do now is to slowly close borders.
Very very late to the 'party' and border closures won't help. Until we start testing we don't know where we are except that it's already here.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Correction, South Korea started peaking around 8,000 mark. Only China is slowing around 100,000 mark.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111, could not agree with you more. What is noted in South Korea and China is that the contagion does not seem to slow down until around the 100,000 mark. If those examples are any indication, US is in the very early stage. Only aggressive testing will tell us where we "truly" are now. All US knows how to do now is to slowly close borders.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
The Secretary of Health in Mexico said today in AMLOs morning blah blah blah, that it is not necessary to follow what the U.S. or any other country does. Mexico is free and sovereign.

He said it is not necessary to check large groups of people and the airports are open to all countries without any special checks with the exception of China.

With the majority of the cases asymptomatic, you can be sure that if we don't take stronger action, we will see the border closed and cases increase rapidly.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
As far as we are concerned, it's like seasonal flu with a public relations person.

We are calling it the beer flu here.

Use common sense, be careful, take care of yourself.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Maybe the Mexican press/media has it right by not overhyping the virus. Take common sense steps such as washing hands, donโ€™t touch or be touched by people you donโ€™t live with. If eating out use hand sanitizers after using restaurant dinnerware.

What? How does that work? What good does that do if you just ate off the dinnerware or someone who prepared the food has it?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think this is the unvarnished truth:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

7 cases in Mexico, no deaths.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not concerned but we did delay our trip to Ecuador only because we don' want to be sequestered there or on our return to CDMX. Better to wait and find a not so crowded Semana Santa place here in Mexico.

Thinking an rv park would be best even though it's really not my cup of tea. Going to the U.S., well, don't think I want to wait in line or the hassle although last year was a blast boondocking in West Texas.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in Cordoba... I've seen one breathing mask - but that might have been restaurant related. The news I read from US media outlets is concerning and borders on criminal.
I don't trust the US media for much of anything anymore... Trying to hype what probably is a routine flu outbreak and getting people all hysterical should land some "journalists" in prison. Note that the media does not detail the mortality rate (4%) or comparisons to other flu outbreaks. The media does not disclose these important facts because of politics.
I'm concerned about not getting back into the US when we're done visiting Mexico, but otherwise I'm pretty much at ease.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Five confirmed cases 11 suspect and pending as of this morning at 5 a.m.

Day and night. They go through the same info as in the U.S. about the failure of masks and the need to stay away from crowds and venues in general, lots of handwashing, no casual kissing or handshaking and keep your hands away from your face.

They are testing people but the airports were behind in the initial start of the virus thinking it wouldn't get that far. In the middle of February, they fired the epidemiologist for the CDMX airport because she said they weren't prepared and lacked the necessary equipment and manuals.

Test kits are available at some IMSS, ISSTE and ISSTE state hospitals and a guy just developed an inexpensive cubicle for the transport of infected patients and it will be easily reproduced.

Goofball president says we can't give up hugs though, we've got to keep the peace and tranquility of the nation ๐Ÿ™‚ He pretty much downplayed the virus until last week and now they are having a session every Tuesday on his daily morning two-hour diatribe about the evils of capitalism. Oh, I think I digressed a bit. But you get the point.

I think we are pretty much on target with the U.S. and Canada and not sure what is happening in Guatemala.

Pemex is taking a big hit on oil prices but you won't see it reflected in the gasoline prices. San Antonio, Tx this morning had unleaded for $1.79 a gallon.

The dollar at noon today was 19.40 bank rate. Vitro (glass manufacturer) has taken the biggest hit on the Mexican stock market.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS