cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odometer error

majordad
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 fleetwood DP odometer reads a lot more miles than I have actually travelled. Could this be due to a shorter tire installed by previous owner, and what can I do to correct it?
9 REPLIES 9

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
majordad wrote:
My 2001 fleetwood DP odometer reads a lot more miles than I have actually travelled. Could this be due to a shorter tire installed by previous owner, and what can I do to correct it?

Need more information. Is this an electronic or a mechanical speedometer/odometer? Specifically, how far off is it?

Yes, tire size can make a difference, but, its usually limited to about 1%-3%. Any good speedometer shop can recalibrate your odometer if need be. Law enforcement does it all the time if their vehicles are used to clock the speed of the general public. (speeding tickets)

Chum lee

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
When I changed tire size my Cummins dealer plugged in his computer and re-calibrated the transmission compyter to read correctly. Now comparred to the GPS its off less than 1/2 mph.
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
This post veered off topic quickly! If the speedometer was set to kilometers you would know. 60 mph is approxamatly 100 kph. Do you regularly drive at 100 or more on the highway?
Yes different size tires can make the speedo read differently. It also screws up the odometer. Do a ten mile test and you will know how much off the speedo is.

The SPEEDometer part of it is in both scales.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
You can make the same tests with any good GPS system. Compare the speed shown on the GPS with the speedometer and also distance traveled. Why not switch back to the OEM size tires? That would be my approach.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
This post veered off topic quickly! If the speedometer was set to kilometers you would know. 60 mph is approxamatly 100 kph. Do you regularly drive at 100 or more on the highway?
Yes different size tires can make the speedo read differently. It also screws up the odometer. Do a ten mile test and you will know how much off the speedo is.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
5 Miles = 8KM in case you need to convert. So if you do the 10 miles by Google Maps or GPS trick someone suggested and it says 16. not 10. it's in KM.

Another warning: I'm spreading this re the Coronavirus.
I've seen a fact sheet that among other things said that it did not like heat as little as 26-27 (I assume C but it did not state cause in F that's sub freezing) will kill it.. well if you do the math 98.6F is 37C so how could a virus that dies at 27 infect a 37Degree human?

The moral is beware false information.. In this specific case it can kill you. Would not be the first time lies killed people.. lots and lots of people. and likely won't be the last. But beware the false prophet (In Bibical words) or flase data.. Note that was point 3 on the fact sheet, 1 and 2 were also lies, I did not read farther.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a rental class C in Alaska. The first couple of days the mileage readings were driving me nuts. Turns out it was made in Cananda, and the odometer was in km. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to set it to miles, and I finally gave up. Not sure it can be done!

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The MPH or KPH setting could be it. If not, take a 10 mile trip. Open Google Maps to track that mileage. After 10 miles of driving according to the Google Maps program, how many miles show up on your odometer?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Can your odometer be set to display kilometers? That would make a difference.