cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wind barrier for breezy nights suggestions please...

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon all.... What do you use or suggestions for those breezy nights around the campfire; something that will block much of the wind; only large enough for just 2 campers...Anyone?
19 REPLIES 19

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Campfire in breezy conditions?
In fairness not everyone lives in that tinderbox known as California...

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have used some of those tall green fence stakes and put a tarp on it to make a circle around the fire pit

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
lc0338 wrote:
I have 4x8 sheets of plywood that I lean up against the backs of the chairs or bench. I can move it around depending on the wind direction. You can drill holes in the top and bottom along the ends and tie multiple panels together and when no longer needed they can be stored out of the way. The heat really reflects off them and helps warm your backside ๐Ÿ™‚
You take 4x8 sheets of plywood on your camping trips?
Yeah, I was wondering if anyone was going to ask about that.

When we knew the weather was going to be bad we've brought old and weathered sheets and pieces of plywood along when we new it was going to be muddy camping before. We used them as windbreaks or laid them down on muddy ground in our high traffic areas especially around the tables where we were doing our cooking so nobody slipped and fell.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Another option for a windbreak is to run a rope five or six feet off the ground. Tie off one side of the tarp to the rope and stake the other side of the tarp to the ground making the tarp into a lean-to. make it high enough so that when you sit in your chairs it's over your head. Also works great in the rain for sitting at the campfire.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
lc0338 wrote:
I have 4x8 sheets of plywood that I lean up against the backs of the chairs or bench. I can move it around depending on the wind direction. You can drill holes in the top and bottom along the ends and tie multiple panels together and when no longer needed they can be stored out of the way. The heat really reflects off them and helps warm your backside ๐Ÿ™‚
Yeah, I was wondering if anyone was going to ask about that.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We get our chairs and put our "Space blankets" (older than most campers in the park) on the chair then sit! Super wind blacker, but does not impede the air to the fire.
Small compact and store easily.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
We use those beach umbrella/shelters for that. They also help provide privacy when strategically placed between vehicles and RVs.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
We look out the windows at CGs and wonder why people are outside when it is windy. I have a feeling we're missing something - like there is a creedo that one must have a fire and be outside or else it is not true camping. When my friends ask me how I deal with the wind and cold when I camp, I look at them and say, "thermostat".
There is something special about camping in an RV.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
lc0338 wrote:
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with others about the beach shelter. Inexpensive, light, easy to set up and store.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Hekla Fire Box!
Ray

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Park your car upwind side of the fire.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we are at the beach This Shelter is what we use around the firepit to block the wind.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Look for "beach shelters" - portable nylon wind and sun protection. Just don't get it too close to the fire ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!