cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cruise testing, I would be uncomfortable

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The new cruise being tested will not have a steering wheel or pedals for the gas and brake.

I just don't think I would be comfortable in such a vehicle. For me it would be the lack of being in control.
82 REPLIES 82

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Freelander wrote:
Interesting subject, but one issue strikes me as absurd!!!

What happens when you want to hitch up? What about backing the truck & trailer combo into a campsite? That is slightly uphill!

I think the concept is centred around commuter vehicles and not pickups etc

Freelander
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting subject, but one issue strikes me as absurd!!!

What happens when you want to hitch up? What about backing the truck & trailer combo into a campsite? That is slightly uphill!
Freelander

Don, Toni & Taren

Wilderness 5'r, F-250 SD
Want'n to be Free'r

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I can't wait for pilotless airplanes to come out. :B

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Can you imagine these self driving cars taking safety recalls to a whole new level.
On the bright side the car could drive itself to the dealer for repair. Drop you off at work then go to the dealer for repairs. LOL

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I believe our highways will run faster and smoother once we have 10% to 20% automation.
Even smart cruise control that many cars have today could really help if people would use it.

Good. Maybe all those self driving cars will get out of my way. :B
Especially if they no longer camp out in the left lane.:W

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you imagine these self driving cars taking safety recalls to a whole new level.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"Wired" has an interesting article on auto insurance and safety electronics:

"โ€œA lot of the developments so far have mixed results,โ€ says Tom Karol, general counsel for the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies. โ€œItโ€™s not really been proven out yet, in terms of benefits.โ€ Which is why, according to the report, drivers who go for electronic stability control, which keeps cars from spinning out of control, save just $8 a year. Those who pay for blind spot warning, driver alertness monitoring, lane departure warning, night vision, or parking assistance systems save nothing at all."
Talking to my insurance agent some of the new features actually increase the cost. Replacing the Windshield that has to have calibration of the camera can cost up to 3k on some models. Lots of factors involved in determining rates. Don't forget how much all this new technology has increased the price of a vehicle so replacement cost factors in as well.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Wired" has an interesting article on auto insurance and safety electronics:

"โ€œA lot of the developments so far have mixed results,โ€ says Tom Karol, general counsel for the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies. โ€œItโ€™s not really been proven out yet, in terms of benefits.โ€ Which is why, according to the report, drivers who go for electronic stability control, which keeps cars from spinning out of control, save just $8 a year. Those who pay for blind spot warning, driver alertness monitoring, lane departure warning, night vision, or parking assistance systems save nothing at all."
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I believe our highways will run faster and smoother once we have 10% to 20% automation.
Even smart cruise control that many cars have today could really help if people would use it.

Good. Maybe all those self driving cars will get out of my way. :B

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would agree with this. With 5g vehicles will be able to communicate with each other in real time.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
mich800 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
mich800 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
mich800 wrote:

So you anticipate nearly 300 million vehicles to just disappear? And that is assuming fully autonomous vehicles will be the norm not the exception in the next couple decades.

Not to mention it would take 16 years at current annual sales to replace all vehicles and that is if 100% of all vehicle sales were fully autonomous every year.

Once it becomes standard, it will take about 20yrs for the vast majority off the existing fleet to be in the junk yard.

At some point though, you can expect insurance for non-self driving cars to be so high that for all practical purposes, you can't afford to drive yourself.

That is a huge assumption on insurance with no facts or data to suggest that would happen. You also assume 100% of vehicle sales are self driving for your time estimate.

Canโ€™t speak for other insurance companies but as of last year when sitting down with an insurance agent one of the first things they ask us wether the car has a driver assist systym like propilot or autopilot. Rates are lower if you do.

And??? Did they say rates were 10x higher if you didn't have lane assist? Discounts for passive safety, alarms, etc have been in place forever. I don't know your age but maybe you are too young that you never encountered these questions obtaining insurance.

Nope. They just asked about driver assist. I wasnโ€™t sure what she meant so she named off a couple systems two of which I remember. Propilot and Autopilot.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
mich800 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
mich800 wrote:

So you anticipate nearly 300 million vehicles to just disappear? And that is assuming fully autonomous vehicles will be the norm not the exception in the next couple decades.

Not to mention it would take 16 years at current annual sales to replace all vehicles and that is if 100% of all vehicle sales were fully autonomous every year.

Once it becomes standard, it will take about 20yrs for the vast majority off the existing fleet to be in the junk yard.

At some point though, you can expect insurance for non-self driving cars to be so high that for all practical purposes, you can't afford to drive yourself.

That is a huge assumption on insurance with no facts or data to suggest that would happen. You also assume 100% of vehicle sales are self driving for your time estimate.

Canโ€™t speak for other insurance companies but as of last year when sitting down with an insurance agent one of the first things they ask us wether the car has a driver assist systym like propilot or autopilot. Rates are lower if you do.

And??? Did they say rates were 10x higher if you didn't have lane assist? Discounts for passive safety, alarms, etc have been in place forever. I don't know your age but maybe you are too young that you never encountered these questions obtaining insurance.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
mich800 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
mich800 wrote:

My insurance doesn't ask me any questions except for how many miles I drive a year, whether for pleasure or work, what type coverage I want, my age and the vin number. The vin number tells them exactly what the car is and what options it has and the premium is decided from this information.