cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Socorro, NM campground

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We had planned on staying at Holloman AFB for the trip out to the Trinity Site but have decided to stay in Socorro at the City of Socorro Rodeo and Sports Complex instead. Has anyone stayed there and what is your opinion? Thanks!!
7 REPLIES 7

Big_Kahunna
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Escondido Lake Park on the NE side of Socorro NM after the Balloon Fiesta in October. 575-835-0589

Quiet, basic accommodations with water and electric.

Drove out to the VLA (Very Large Array) from their.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
This more newer that other RV facilities than else where in Socorro. From the web site does not look bad but just a basic campground.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/new-mexico/socorro/city-of-socorro-rodeo-sports-complex-rv...

ds
pigfarmer wrote:
We had planned on staying at Holloman AFB for the trip out to the Trinity Site but have decided to stay in Socorro at the City of Socorro Rodeo and Sports Complex instead. Has anyone stayed there and what is your opinion? Thanks!!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Socorro posts not in Class A

Why not, easy to say no with no reason. It is a basic no frills CG and not a "resort". There are things to see and do & I believe the OP has family in the area. There is a small mom pop Cg off HY 1 used by bird watchers. If you know the area there are a number of out of they way places, a CG in Pie Town with 4 full hook ups, don't think you will find it listed. Then Chloride with 4 spot behind the museum I think 2 with full hook ups. The area is surrounded by BLM but not all is accessible with a camper. Elephant Butte lakes 65-70 miles one way from Socorro, Carrizozo to Socorro 75 miles each way.

Here are some reviews from people been there.
https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/new-mexico/socorro/city-of-socorro-rodeo-sports-complex-rv-park-horse-stall-252477
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
there is an rv park at the southern end of Socorro, but it has been several years since we stayed there. at the time, it was clean and quiet, a good overnight stop.
we've also stayed at the BLM campground over near Carrizozo, and it is VERY nice, with water and dump and elec and the town close by if you want a cafe.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ritterjw
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend Valley of Fires BLM campground East of the road to the Stallion Gate. It is on highway 380 just west of Carrizozo. Has power and water and a dump station. Very clean it may be full of others going to Trinity Site.

Not to sure what Socorro has to offer not much of a town.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Why not? Rv Parks and Campgrounds listed.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Socorro posts not in Class A
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman