cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closet walls pulling away from structure

Wishn_I_Was_Fis
Explorer
Explorer
I don't even really know how to describe this issue. We have owned a lot of RVs over the years but this is not like anything we've ever encountered before. Our fifth wheel is parked most of the time with the front nose portion taking the brunt of the afternoon sun, in the AZ desert. The bedroom closet takes up the very front nose of the rig. This summer we noticed that the interior wall had pulled away from the structure and was warping badly. It almost looks like it's melting. This is not a leak issue, it's a heat issue.

The closet interior wall is "molded" to fit the shape of the exterior of the rig. We could completely remove the interior wall lining but replace it with what? Due to the odd rounded shape of the front nose, we would need something pliable. I kind of like the idea of replacing it with cedar but we would lose a significant portion of the closet by building up the support to make it a flatter surface.

The rig is 10 years old now so no warranty. We are pretty handy and can fix most things, but this has us stumped. Has anyone run into this kind of thing before? Any ideas on how to fix this so it looks decent? It's a great RV otherwise. No real issues other than the beating it takes from the sun out here.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much!
8 REPLIES 8

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mhardin wrote:
If you really want cedar, maybe you could line it with narrow cedar planks run horizontally.

I've seen 1/4 or 5/16 cedar t&g boards. Placed horizontally, you could likely follow the curve of the front cap. As far as insulation, there's most likely little to none in there from the factory. 😞

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
When you store an RV in that heat put a few 5 gallons buckets full of water and place them in the trailer. That what they do where I am in AZ.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Basically it is cardboard and with that much heat it has lost its moisture and shrunk is all the problem more than likely is.So its just cosmetic.Go to a big box store pick up some cedar boards and some and adhesive and condiser it a mod

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want cedar, maybe you could line it with narrow cedar planks run horizontally.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Good old cheap paneling is pretty bendy.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Heat is a funny thing here in the west. I have wallpaper that is wrinkling on the upper section of my 5th wheel in the bedrooms. It is not leaking but sliding down the wall just a bit from the heat. Took it in for some inspection and they said it is not unheard of for them to do it here with the heat. They said to change the direction of how we park it to change where the heat is hitting the trailer.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Until you tear it out and see what you have to work with it is hard to know what will work to replace it. Once you open it up I would find some type of reflective insulation to try to keep the heat out and install that first. If you have vertical supports running up and down the front wall you may be able to screw cedar boards directly to the structure. You would want to cut the edges of the boards at angles or rabbit them so they overlap to form a seal. If it gets that warm there you will want to make sure the boards are very dry before installing them. If not when they dry out you will have gaps. I would probably put a piece of thin plywood behind the cedar to act as the seal.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to say without seeing it, but my first thought is 1/4 inch hardwood plywood. The thin sheets are pliable. So you install one sheet and then using good glue, laminate a second sheet on top of that one. This assumes you have some structure behind the sheets that you can drive screws into. You can add more sheets to get the desired thickness but probably two would be enough. Once the glue sets you can remove the top layer's screws and use wood putty to fill the screw holes.

The problem with this is that you would never be able to remove this in the future.

There may be better solutions.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper