cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pin box

skinnyme
Explorer
Explorer
Just took delivery on my 1st 5th wheel. A Grand Design 150 series with a Lippert Turning Point pin box. If I was to install the wedge and move my pivot point back 22", could I go on the highway with this setup ? Or is this just for getting in and out of tight spaces.
Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people roll down the road with the kingpin locked out. No issue at all for them.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
I can only wish, though for what a new truck costs, I'd rather =build= a truck. Early 2007 3500HD SRW LBZ engine with beefed up suspension. No DEF and =way= cheaper tags here in AZ.

Lyle

I could only afford it because of what they gave me for my 2012 truck!

But yeah, trucks are batcrap insane.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ependydad wrote:
laknox wrote:
ependydad wrote:
laknox wrote:
Need to know what hitch you have. Some hitch mfrs. will void their warranty if you use one of these types of hitches. B&W, in particular.

Lyle

Not all B&W hitches, just the post-mount ones. You can use this style hitch with puck-mounted hitches because of 4-points of attachment vs just one.

But, good to highlight that not all fifth wheel hitches allow this style pinbox.

OK. I'm still old-school, with my TO Ball / Companion. :B

Lyle

I would have been too if it wasn't for a 21k toy hauler. That was over on the TO Ball/Companion (20k max) and ended up being over on a variety of ratings on the truck. New truck and new hitch entirely for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

I can only wish, though for what a new truck costs, I'd rather =build= a truck. Early 2007 3500HD SRW LBZ engine with beefed up suspension. No DEF and =way= cheaper tags here in AZ.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ependydad wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Part of the reason a 5ver tows so well is the fact that the king pin is on or ahead of the truck axle. Your pin box is designed to be used with the wedge but using it will cause your 5ver to not handle as well as it would with the pivot point ahead of your truck axle. If you imagine towing down the highway and turning your truck to the right; if the trailer pivot point is in front of the truck axle your trailer will also start turning to the right with the truck. If you have the pivot point 20 inches behind the rear axle when you turn your truck to the right the front of the trailer will start moving to the left slightly before being pulled to the right ...... you may feel a little trailer sway using the wedge.

I don't know how to write this without sounding argumentative, but I don't mean it that way.

Do you write all of this with first-hand knowledge of a locked out hitch like this? Or is it just theoretical?

I have never used one, but I've also never read of anyone complaining about different performance for those who do use them.

I have not used a wedge but have considered it. My comments are strictly from a theoretical perspective.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you read the manufacturers set up instructions and take full advantage of this awesome feature! I have the same style pinbox on my Rockwood 5th wheel. By moving the pivot point back your unit will behave like a much shorter trailer making it easier to get into tight spots!

skinnyme
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch is a Curt 16A. Mounted on above-bed rails. Trailer weighs just under 9,000 lbs. going down the road.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Part of the reason a 5ver tows so well is the fact that the king pin is on or ahead of the truck axle. Your pin box is designed to be used with the wedge but using it will cause your 5ver to not handle as well as it would with the pivot point ahead of your truck axle. If you imagine towing down the highway and turning your truck to the right; if the trailer pivot point is in front of the truck axle your trailer will also start turning to the right with the truck. If you have the pivot point 20 inches behind the rear axle when you turn your truck to the right the front of the trailer will start moving to the left slightly before being pulled to the right ...... you may feel a little trailer sway using the wedge.

I don't know how to write this without sounding argumentative, but I don't mean it that way.

Do you write all of this with first-hand knowledge of a locked out hitch like this? Or is it just theoretical?

I have never used one, but I've also never read of anyone complaining about different performance for those who do use them.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
ependydad wrote:
laknox wrote:
Need to know what hitch you have. Some hitch mfrs. will void their warranty if you use one of these types of hitches. B&W, in particular.

Lyle

Not all B&W hitches, just the post-mount ones. You can use this style hitch with puck-mounted hitches because of 4-points of attachment vs just one.

But, good to highlight that not all fifth wheel hitches allow this style pinbox.

Lyle

I would have been too if it wasn't for a 21k toy hauler. That was over on the TO Ball/Companion (20k max) and ended up being over on a variety of ratings on the truck. New truck and new hitch entirely for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ependydad wrote:
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Lyle

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
skinnyme wrote:
Just took delivery on my 1st 5th wheel. A Grand Design 150 series with a Lippert Turning Point pin box. If I was to install the wedge and move my pivot point back 22", could I go on the highway with this setup ? Or is this just for getting in and out of tight spaces.
Thank you.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting timing on this. Was at a RV dealer yesterday and asked about these pinboxes as half of their inventory had them.
The sales person didn't quite sell me that they understood how it worked and it turns out that they didn't understand it at all.
Info on the web repeatedly states that they are not for aftermarket installs.

click here
Puma 30RKSS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is what it is designed for........changing the pivot point for everyday towing.

Unlike a slider that moves hitch/pin back in bed of truck for manuvering only
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31