cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glow plug still in warranty

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very happy today as I had a glow plug go bad on my 2012 Duramax. Monday got AutoZone to scan, bad GP, bought one there, was going to tackle.
Talikung to friend later he says, that's part of the emissions stuff so should be covered, so call dealer Tuesday morn. Yep, warranty & be their at 1:00pm .Arrive on time & 2 hours later I'm driving home. Good day tater.
13 REPLIES 13

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was havin a bit of fun!

I had glow plugs on my 81 VW Diesel Pickup. SUCKED to replace, did so several times in the 300k I owned it.

Had them in my 86 C20 6.2/6.5, changed them many times over the 400k+ miles I owned it. Not too bad to replace, a couple of them sucked!

I have owned three 5.9 and two 6.7 CUMMINS, never touched the grid heater systems. GOLDEN
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
What the HE!! Is a glow plug???

You got 'em.
Hook. line and sinker. 😉

I was thinking he drives a ram so he wouldn't know about advanced diesels :B

Advanced diesel........oh, those are he ones always being towed in for repair!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

It's a part that lesser motors use to start when it's cold out!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a old Mack for a few years. The block heater would let it crank, but would not fire without starting fluid. This engine had the inter-cooler mounted on the side of engine instead of by the radiator. Best start, without the fluid rattle, squirt a line of zippo fluid along the bottom of cooler fins, spark.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
LML duramax is one up on the cummins. It has glow plugs AND a grid heater. I suspect the grid heater doesn't have near as much heat output as the cummins grid heater.

Course some of the cummins in Motor homes have neither grid heaters or glow plugs, but do have a ether(sp?) AKA starting fluid injection bottle!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Rod that goes into each cyl to pre heat before starting . In cold weather your turn key on & wait for light to go out then crank. My '03 also had a block heater but I can't find the plug if this one has it, but it just doesn't get that cold here but maybe 1 or 2 days a year. My Kubota tractor has glow plugs too

Ron, is just having a bit of fun, the Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 don't have glow plugs, rather they have a Grid Heater to warm the intake air.

Yeah the one with the bolt that comes loose and gets suck into the intake. Fun stuff for sure!

Almost as much fun as the tip breaking off a Ford 6.7L glow plug....;)
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

You got 'em.
Hook. line and sinker. 😉

I was thinking he drives a ram so he wouldn't know about advanced diesels :B

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Rod that goes into each cyl to pre heat before starting . In cold weather your turn key on & wait for light to go out then crank. My '03 also had a block heater but I can't find the plug if this one has it, but it just doesn't get that cold here but maybe 1 or 2 days a year. My Kubota tractor has glow plugs too

Ron, is just having a bit of fun, the Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 don't have glow plugs, rather they have a Grid Heater to warm the intake air.

Yeah the one with the bolt that comes loose and gets suck into the intake. Fun stuff for sure!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

You got 'em.
Hook. line and sinker. 😉

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
sayoung wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I hope you are being facetious. If not, ask that lady at Cummins to tell you how the glow plugs in the ISV 5.0L work.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD