cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remembrance Day

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
May we honor our Canadian friends as they observe Rembembrance Day on November 11th in honor of the their soldiers who served in Europe during World War which finally ended with the Armistice in 1918. You can be proud of the sacrifice made by them. As a younger American Army veteran who will be celebrate our Veterans Day tomorrow, I have great admiration and respect for all men and women who have served their country, USA or Canada!
10 REPLIES 10

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
In our small town we gathered at the Royal Canadian Legion hall and walked behind the RCMP members, firemen and other uniformed service people to the town hall where a service was held with every name of the local men and women who served in war and peacekeeping was honoured, many by wreaths displayed by their descendants.

Unfortunately our community doesn’t have any living veterans of the world wars living here.

My family lost two Spitfire pilots in the Battle of Britain.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Remember
Kevin

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
We just came back from the service at our local village cenotaph. Short military parade, Oh Canada, Flanders Fields poem, WW2 flypast, Last Post, a full two minutes silence, the lament, The Rouse? Laying of about twenty wreaths, God Save the Queen. As invited, most left their poppies an the cenotaph. Very moving.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks to all who served.
The state of many of our World War memorials is deplorable. Many sit forgotten and neglected (Like Oahu's Natatorium). If you get a chance, please support them.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just learning something. The Allies recruited labour to clean up roads and do other manual labour. These men came from China and were quietly shipped across Canada to be ferried to France. The quietness of the effort was because immigrant Chinese had to pay $500.00 to stay in Canada in those days.

:h

CBC Radio, The Current, is my source.
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Sad that the day has become little more than a theme to base retail sales on. It is a day of business as usual for most.

Across Britain & the Commonwealth it is a day of respect & remembrance. Even if you are not at a service at a cenotaph in your town at eleven minutes past the eleventh hour on the eleventh of November you stop for a few moments to remember when the guns fell silent at that time in 1918 & give thanks & respect to those who gave their all.
At least the retail sales bring attention to the day so it's not forgotten, and some offer additional discounts to our military that could really use them. Several families have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Least we never forget past and present. The longest war still goes on.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Least we forget. Thank you to all the men and women who have served or are serving on either side of the border.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Keily
Explorer
Explorer
Well said, I will be at the cenotaph at my home town, Canso Nova Scotia when they call the roll for my father, WW II vet.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sad that the day has become little more than a theme to base retail sales on. It is a day of business as usual for most.

Across Britain & the Commonwealth it is a day of respect & remembrance. Even if you are not at a service at a cenotaph in your town at eleven minutes past the eleventh hour on the eleventh of November you stop for a few moments to remember when the guns fell silent at that time in 1918 & give thanks & respect to those who gave their all.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, and we also respect and honor your veterans who've been the most over worked and over used military entity on the planet since the end of WWI when the German Armistice was signed on November 11th, 1918. You've always been there to help whenever or wherever you've been needed, and we all appreciate it.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)