cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Netflix forces newer TVs

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went to watch a Netflix movie night before last. A message popped up stating that effective Dec 1st our pretty expensive high end but older TV was going to be moved to the bedroom as a spare. Not in those words of course.
Evidently other streaming services will be involved as well. I've seen Roku mentioned when I went to research this. I would imagine FireSticks will be in play as well as others.
Time marches on.
Puma 30RKSS
33 REPLIES 33

ClarissaCampbel
Explorer
Explorer

Similar story here โ€“ our trusty TV got benched for streaming services. Looking into Roku or maybe FireStick for the upgrade. It's a bit of a tech puzzle, but I'm curious about the streaming device switch. Have you decided on a specific one?

EsperanzaAli
Explorer
Explorer

Thinking about it, maybe sticking to the current setup could work, too. Less hassle, you know?

While I sure the OP appreciates the responses, this thread is almost 5 years old. 

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
My Vizio LED TV no longer gets my Amazon Prime. Nothing to do with HDMI; it's through my WiFi. Are TVs becoming like cell phones; outdated every 2 years?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
bucky wrote:
Thanks for the input from everybody. We already have a Firestick so I logged into Netflix thru that and get no error message. It makes me wonder if Spectrum is the problem and not the TV.
No, it's Netflix dropping support for certain devices.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the input from everybody. We already have a Firestick so I logged into Netflix thru that and get no error message. It makes me wonder if Spectrum is the problem and not the TV.
Puma 30RKSS

MrWizard
I don't have a smart TV
My Vizio does have 3 HDMI inputs and I use other electronics to feed it hd video from the web, usually my laptop, but some times my tablet, it works great with my blu-ray player or my hdmi recorder
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I just checked my 9 year old Sony 60" flatscreen. Netflix is dropping support for it on December 1st.

Fortunately I've used my PS3 for Netflix for the last 8 years as it renders the picture far better than the app on the smart TV.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
My Hulu account said that my smart TV operating system was no longer supported and as such I couldn't view Hulu on my smart TV any longer. As a work around I cast Hulu from my iPhone to the TV via the house router and a Chromecast device plugged into the back of the TV.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz wrote:
At one time the in-laws had a set like this with all the family pictures on top. When the TV blew they popped out the old tube and slipped in a flat screen. Never did look right but the family pics still had a home ๐Ÿ™‚

12 years ago when our 60โ€ rear projection CRT TV died, it was also in a nice large oak cabinet with doors and on wheels. I gutted the contents and painted the inside walls black, turning it into a backless cabinet. A 52โ€ on its glass shelf stand fit perfectly inside. We use the top for all kinds of decorations and would have missed it.

Bedlam
Fizz wrote:
At one time the in-laws had a set like this with all the family pictures on top. When the TV blew they popped out the old tube and slipped in a flat screen. Never did look right but the family pics still had a home ๐Ÿ™‚

One of my high school jobs was fixing these things. Everything form adjusting turntable speeds to swapping tubes to soldering in new components. I was hired because I was young with a strong back that could move these things - Then they found out I could fix them too...

BTW: We converted a few of these old sets into rabbit hutches after gutting out the insides.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
like others said, wait until black Friday/cyber Monday and get an amazon firestick. They'll likely be 1/2 price then.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
MickeyFan0805 wrote" RCA cables are analog transmitters, I'm actually surprised you could use them with current streaming services at all."

Answer: the Insignia HDMI to RCA does the conversion to analog. (see previous posts)

Why am I still using analog? The 55-inch rear projection TV has a picture that is good enough for me, so I see no reason to replace it as long as it is still working. I have a 38-inch flat screen in the next room, but I still like the 55-inch rear projection monster.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
A Roku will fix your problem in 5 minutes. Every 5 years or so you'll need a new one. It completely replaces the hardware you're concerned about.

A smart tv really is a somewhat stupid idea in the first place. The useful life of a tv exceeds that of internet technology by quite a bit. A "smart tv" really should just be a tv and a Roku.