cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 Minnie Winnie question

Mobile_Kennel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to purchase a 2004 31 ft Minnie. It looks pretty good but I'm concerned about a 1/4 inch crack in the linoleum flooring in the back section in the area between the shower and the bathroom. The floor seems solid so I'm thinking that the flooring just got brittle and shrunk.
Any comments.
No motor home at present
2010 Toyota Prius to become toad.
2 Labrador Retrievers
6 REPLIES 6

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's the cold. My 2003 Minnie had a split after the polar vortex two years ago, which gave me an excuse to pull all the linoleum/carpet and replace it with new vinyl.

That project allowed me to inspect the floor, which had zero indications of water damage inside the coach (and much peace of mind).
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
It is usually the cold. My understanding is that if a floor covering is totally glued down it prevents cracking. I don't know if this is forever but even new ones will split on a dealers lot in the cold.
When I factory ordered mine in 2008 I stipulated the floor covering be totally glued and so far so good. Some others nearby have split. I believe Triple E would have totally glued your current one. U.S. manufacturers?? May just glue the edges and hope it goes south.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I remember not only that post with the cracked floor but also Jayco forum, Forest River forums and this forum have posts regarding floors splitting when transitioning to seasonal colder climates.
People that replaced it have cut the old flooring to the edges and not under walls to replace it. Some have installed a Pergo floating type floor.
As long as the floor is not soft, I would agree that it's just separation or shrinkage and not structural.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with ScottG. There was a post last spring, I fellow included pictures of his linoleum flooring. The crack was full-length, front to back. The extremely cold winter had shrunk the frozen flooring, splitting it wide open.

I really don't think the crack you have is anything more than a similarity. I would plan on installing an interlocking laminate flooring over the top of what you have today. Just consider that expense in your offer. A laminate floor is an upgrade when buying a new rig so it is a common application.

Laminate flooring is easy to install for the novice, the floor rests right on top of the vinyl floor, no adhesives, just lay it down and install base shoe around the perimeter. You will need to add some kind of trim for the step-down into the cab and also for the main entry door.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
1/4" gap is pretty big. Be careful. May be a major issue.Have an RV tech have a look.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sometimes extremely cold temps inside the RV cause that. Usually looks like a razor blade sliced it.