Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What is your towing experience with Chrysler Pacifica
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What is your towing experience with Chrysler Pacifica

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
sprintstream

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. The towing capacity is rated at 3600 lbs. My wife wants to get a popup and all of them she wants are about 2500lbs or more empty. I don't want to tow up to capacity and she doesn't see the problem.

Anybody out there towing with a Pacifica? What's your experience and how much do you tow? Have you had any vehicle problems? I'm especially concerned about the transmission because I can't choose the gear with Chrysler's spin-the-dial gear shift.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica
Was living the dream in the Ozarks
Now just living

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sprintstream wrote:

We just bought a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. The towing capacity is rated at 3600 lbs. My wife wants to get a popup and all of them she wants are about 2500lbs or more empty. I don't want to tow up to capacity and she doesn't see the problem.

Anybody out there towing with a Pacifica? What's your experience and how much do you tow? Have you had any vehicle problems? I'm especially concerned about the transmission because I can't choose the gear with Chrysler's spin-the-dial gear shift.

Pacifica Limited owner - no towing. But I agree with your concerns - a popup is much wider than the vehicle, acting like a parachute; not to mention by the time it's loaded up for camping, scarily-close to top tow weight. Even unloaded and not towing, my tranny can act like the Wheel of Fortune in its attempts to find the right gear. I suppose for short trips it would be fine, but I sure wouldn't want to tow in any mountains....

Of course, camping in a popup is fun - even more fun when you can bring bikes/kayaks/fishing gear, etc. I think you need a nice full-sized pickup truck - then there would be no worries ;-)

On edit: or better yet, tow with what we use: a full-sized Transit with the Ecoboost motor - woohoo!!! It won't fit in your garage, but it WILL haul just about any heavy thing you can think of....LOL!

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll be over on max tow weight. What is the Pacifica's payload?

"even more fun when you can bring bikes/kayaks/fishing gear, etc"

Deb & Ed's comment is right on! I'd add horseshoes.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sprintstream wrote:

Towing capacity is only one thing to consider. What is the GVWR for the vehicle? GVWR is the maximum weight capacity of a vehicle without a trailer attached. Towing capacity, on the other hand, is the maximum weight capacity of the vehicle, specifically in terms of how heavy of a trailer it can tow. How much will the Pacifica weigh with everyone in it and loaded to go camping and how much weight will hooking up the pop-up add to the Pacifica - i.e. the tongue weight?

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from General RVing

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sprintstream wrote:

Does your Pacifica have the factory tow package? If not, it doesn't have the 3600lbs towing capacity.
You also need to look at popup GVWR numbers, NOT the fictional dry numbers. Popups generally have low CCC numbers so the GVWR is a more realistic number.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have plenty of engine and plenty of wheelbase for a stable platform. However that transmission shifts all over the place and you can't lock out gears. What does your yellow payload sticker say on the drivers door jam? If you keep that loaded popup under 3,200 pounds, get trailer brakes, and keep your tongue weight at about 12% you should be good.

Sold - 1994 Flagstaff Cobra 206
2017 F150 SCREW 2.7 Ecoboost
2007 Honda Odyssey
Sold - 2007 Chevy Trailblazer - 5.3 & 3.42
Lund Boat

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towed our 3.500 pound loaded trailer for many years with our Dodge Caravan. Same tow capacity as your pacifica. We went all over Oregon, Washington, some of Canada and even Colorado. People with more money than us would scoff at our rig though, barely, we are within factory specs. Your pacifica will do fine. Figure 500 aditional pounds for water, camping gear and what you need to camp. Be sure to get a brake controller and we did run Firestone air bag assist suspension. Our mileage was around 14 MPG

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

We towed our 3.500 pound loaded trailer for many years with our Dodge Caravan. Same tow capacity as your pacifica. We went all over Oregon, Washington, some of Canada and even Colorado. People with more money than us would scoff at our rig though, barely, we are within factory specs. Your pacifica will do fine. Figure 500 aditional pounds for water, camping gear and what you need to camp. Be sure to get a brake controller and we did run Firestone air bag assist suspension. Our mileage was around 14 MPG

I agree. The OP will be fine. I towed a 25ft TT with a 95 Explorer the trailer had a 5k lb tow rating with a 3850 dry weight. Yes we were at max but I never had an issue.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2500 dry means you will have 1100lb before you hit the max tow. Pups don't have a huge carrying capacity. Doubt seriously you will ever load more than 500lb in the pup. there just isn't enough room in there for it. Unless of course your wife is like Lucy and collects rocks.

folks have been towing large pups with Caravans for years, and years. they too are rated for 35 to 3800lb towing. Also "many" not "all" front wheel drive vehicles have the same towing capacity loaded or empty. Meaning it doesn't matter if there is 2 or 5 people in the vehicle. it still tows the same weight

A pup has almost no frontal area while towing. So that is not really a question. Me. I'd do it. but then I towed pups with CJ5s, Grand Cherokees, and Rangers. I don't see the problem.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What is your towing experience with Chrysler Pacifica
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS