Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Modern Food?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Modern Food?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We know we're getting old and times are changing but we can't seem to get really quality food at restaurants. Time after time we leave a restaurant with no good reason to return. Usually the food is "just OK" or worse. We usually like our own home cooked food just fine so it's not that we are losing our taste. Some of my theories are: Many of the young have not grown up with quality food so they set the bar low. Local small town cafes are disappearing. The young seem to want to cover everything with sauces, strong spices, multiple items, etc. so it covers poor meat. They are avoiding traditionals like roast beef, baked ham, etc. They don't cook their own quality food at home.Example: yesterday a "family restaurant". Catfish-bland no flavor, baked potato not thouroghly done and tasteless non-butter spread, funny tasting rolls. The cost is high but hasn't it always been. We do enjoy Steak n Shake, Texas Roadhouse, and the Iowa Machine Shed. Expensive places are sometimes better but some of the best past ones were reasonable.

Jayco-noslide

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those darn kids. I'm 37 so I probably qualify. Trust me, we young people like good food too. But unfortunately, a lot of people aren't willing to pay what it costs to get good food, and food costs are higher than they used to be, so restaurants have to find ways to cut costs... that usually includes buying lesser quality meat and doing exactly what you describe, or buying pre-made frozen stuff since it's hard to keep staff around to cook food. Just watch the show Restaurant Impossible on Food Network and you'll see this happen over and over again.

Also, I'm a pretty good cook, so why would I go out to eat to get something like roast beef? I can make a good roast beef at home pretty easily. When I go out to eat, I want to eat something I either can't make at home, or would be a big pain to make at home (like good BBQ).

I've found that we can't eat out for a good quality meal for less than $50 including drinks anymore. Often it's closer to $75. So many people still expect a good meal for $10/plate or less. These days, even fast food can get near the $10/meal mark.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you consider Steak 'n Shake, and Texas Roadhouse places to get quality food, that could explain part of the problem. One has decent, not great, but decent burgers, the other one is barely adequate. I've eaten at Texas Roadhouse twice, two different places, and it was mediocre both times. Franchise food is rarely top drawer. But stay away from the Outback restaurants and you'll likely survive.

Sauces add flavor, sometimes meat is merely something that adds flavor, not the main part of the dish. That's something that a lot of people can't get around. I used to love Oriental food when I was overseas, because they used meat as seasoning, not a lot of meat with a little other stuff like you find at a lot of Oriental restaurants in the US. So maybe people just like stuff that you don't, that doesn't make it not good, maybe you need to expand your palate.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just about every time we go to a chain restaurant my wife says “isn’t as good as it used to be”. Could be lower grade ingredients, could be the “Chef” is inexperienced, could be a number of things. Could also be the wife’s taste buds have changed. I eat anything and just about anyway it’s prepared. ( but I refuse to eat beets or Brussel sprouts! ) You think prices are high now for mediocre food? Just wait till everybody at the restaurant gets $15 an hour minimum. Of course I assume they will remain in business.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lessor quality cuts. Order "PRIME RIB" and get Choice or less, not prime. Most meals are commissary and boiled in plastic bags then plopped on plate.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Just about every time we go to a chain restaurant my wife says “isn’t as good as it used to be”. Could be lower grade ingredients, could be the “Chef” is inexperienced, could be a number of things. Could also be the wife’s taste buds have changed. I eat anything and just about anyway it’s prepared. ( but I refuse to eat beets or Brussel sprouts! ) You think prices are high now for mediocre food? Just wait till everybody at the restaurant gets $15 an hour minimum. Of course I assume they will remain in business.
Our memories are curious things. We tend to embellish favorable memories and exaggerate the bad ones. When you compare your current meal with one in the past the highlights of the past meal are competing with the entirety of the current one. It is likely to current one will never win. (and you probably won't often be returning to a place with bad food memories, so that comparison seldom happens).
As for the economics of higher wages, prices will obviously rise should those higher wages be mandated. However, incomes should also rise and in the end everything will be the same. Raising the minimum wage will not happen in a vacuum. The guy currently making double minimum wage will see his income rise as well. If he is worth double a minimum wage worker today he will be worth that tomorrow.
An hour of work will buy the same amount in goods and services as it always has. When minimum wage was $2.00 an hour you could buy two Big Mac sandwiches. Today, wages fast food wages are around $9.00 an hour and that will buy about two Big Macs. When wages become mandated at $15.00 an hour, you can bet a Big Mac will cost about $7.50 and at the end of a working hour you will have just enough to buy two. And then the whole hamster wheel will spin anew.

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://roadfood.com/

-jbh-

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be relentlessly selective. Reward great food and great service. Otherwise eat at home.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always try the local places, and I read reviews online most of the time before we go.

I rarely get steak, or pork chops when dining out, I've found that my whole family likes what I do at home much better. Occasionally I'll get BBQ out if it is a well known place, but typically we prefer mine.

Typically I'll get something I normally don't cook like a pasta and sauce, or seafood, and we don't fry anything at home, so hot wings, or fried shrimp are options.

With meats like steak, and BBQ, I think it is tough to do great quality when doing large quantities, and having to have it available over a number of hours.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know it seems counter intuitive, but at Texas Roadhouse, try the chicken sandwiches. Some of the best I've had.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Modern Food?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS