Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Need help with sulphur smelling water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need help with sulphur smelling water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Jetstreamer

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn’t the sulfur smell a product of iron content in the water?
I have an iron filter on my well system and without it I have sulfur smelling water...

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I can suggest that would be cheap is to buy a aquarium air pump, a cheap one. With an air stone and some tubing. You can put that in the bottom of a container to speed up the aeration process.

But there is no cheap way to treat a pressurized system that I know of. It would require a flowmeter, computerized metering pump, and a sensor feedback system for H2S. Each one of those components would probably be well over a thousand dollars plus you'd have to get the training to operate them since they are not simple.

I can imagine a cheap system to degas water before using it to fill your water tank. Batch treatment in other words. But that would require lots of operator time. And some tankage outside the camper. You'd duplicate the system I describe above used to process drinking water.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jetstreamer wrote:

I have an iron filter on my well system and without it I have sulfur smelling water...

No, Sulfur is Sulfur a yellow solid and Iron is that metal we all know. Iron Reducing bacteria and sulfate reducing bacteria will produce Hydrogen Sulfide as a byproduct of eating iron and yes then there will also be iron dissolved in the water. These are anaerobic bacteria and can only live in the absence of oxygen. Some people think they are the remnants of ancient life here on earth before the atmosphere was filled with oxygen. No they are forced into tiny biomes where there is no O2. Like underneath corrosion (aka rust) layers.

The situation is more complicated than I describe above but I tried to simplify it.

hippiemade

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jetstreamer wrote:

Yes I think so I have a whole house system- but obviously not a powerful enough one

hippiemade

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Jetstreamer wrote:

No, Sulfur is Sulfur a yellow solid and Iron is that metal we all know. Iron Reducing bacteria and sulfate reducing bacteria will produce Hydrogen Sulfide as a byproduct of eating iron and yes then there will also be iron dissolved in the water. These are anaerobic bacteria and can only live in the absence of oxygen. Some people think they are the remnants of ancient life here on earth before the atmosphere was filled with oxygen. No they are forced into tiny biomes where there is no O2. Like underneath corrosion (aka rust) layers.

The situation is more complicated than I describe above but I tried to simplify it.

Thank you

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the sulfur smell. Changed the water heater anode and gave the water heater a good flush. No more sulfur smell.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

keymastr

S.E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use the fresh water tank on the trailer you could simply use a fairly large aquarium pump to aerate the water and the excess air could escape out the vent. Not sure how long it would take but it would be your cheapest solution. You could leave the filler cap off for better air evacuation.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I had the sulfur smell. Changed the water heater anode and gave the water heater a good flush. No more sulfur smell.

This is where I’d start. If your WH in the fifth wheel has an anode rod (Suburban?) I’d try a new one. While it’s out, give the WH a good flush. If you fifth wheel sits a long time between use drain the WH.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keymastr wrote:

If you use the fresh water tank on the trailer you could simply use a fairly large aquarium pump to aerate the water and the excess air could escape out the vent. Not sure how long it would take but it would be your cheapest solution. You could leave the filler cap off for better air evacuation.

That's a good idea, tho I'd give the water heater fix a try first

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our area we have this problem. The man at the plumbing store said just remove the anode from the water heater. It has been smell free now for almost 30 years. I have also heard that a Zinc anode will eliminate the smell while still giving you the protection of a anode.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need help with sulphur smelling water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS