cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments on cancel your car Insurance

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been going to Yuma Az for 10 years now. We have in the past put our 2nd car at home in the garage. In the past we changed the policy on it to storage insurance. My question is why Can't I just cancel the insurance on it and place it back on my policy when return back home. Thus saving money for 6 months. The car will not be moved while gone. My home owners insurance would cover the contents of the house if any thing happen.

Our home is in Tennessee.
24 REPLIES 24

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have AAA insurance. In Early Dec I park the rv and will not drive it for months. I have AAA cut all coverage except comprehensive which covers damage to a 'stored' vehicle. I reinstate full coverage when I head to FLA in late Jan. That's when I cut all coverage to my car except comprehensive and leave it in Michigan. This saves almost $100/month, course Michigan has the highest insurance rates.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Your car, you can do what you want with it.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue has the correct answer for you. and

An untagged, uninsured RV is not the same thing as a motorized vehicle when it comes to insurance and homeowners coverages.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
crawford wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I don't know about TN, but in NY you would have to turn in the registration plates before you would be allowed to cancel the insurance.

Just how did TN get in on this I see nobody that said anything?

The original post states "our home is in Tennessee".
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I don't know about TN, but in NY you would have to turn in the registration plates before you would be allowed to cancel the insurance.

Just how did TN get in on this I see nobody that said anything?
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then you've got a bad rep. Mine has been great - three generations have worked with him and he's always gotten us discounts that are applicable.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
1968mooney wrote:
MWJones wrote:
My question is: Why ask people on an internet forum an insurance question INSTEAD of asking your Insurance agent !!!!!

Reason is the Agent will tell you facts. Sometimes people do not want facts because it's not the answer they want. Ask it on the forum and you will get many answers, many of which are not factual but are the answers you WANT TO HEAR. :S

The Agent will tell you facts THAT BENEFIT HIS POCKETBOOK. For years my ALLSTATE agent kept sending me annual policy review reminders about extra cost policy features that they offered that I didn't buy yet. He did not tell me of all available discounts that I was entitled to (neither did ALLSTATE Company). I just found out that I was entitled to a $94/yr discount on my homeowner policy (55+ homeowner discount) that I've been paying for the past 15 yr. :M
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham wrote:
I have 2 identical cars -- one in the North and one in the South.

When we switch location, the other car gets "suspended" at State Farm, for all but Comprehensive. It drops to about $20 for 6 months, and one call to the agent swaps out the coverages instantly.

Yes, there is a lot of difference between suspended and canceld - CALL YOUR INSURANCE AGENT...........

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
If you can afford to go to Yuma, you can afford auto insurance.

+1...:h
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 identical cars -- one in the North and one in the South.

When we switch location, the other car gets "suspended" at State Farm, for all but Comprehensive. It drops to about $20 for 6 months, and one call to the agent swaps out the coverages instantly.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for info. Car is out right paid for, but believe that I'll pay another 6 month storage fee.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Branson N Tucson wrote:
e. My question is why Can't I just cancel the insurance on it and place it back on my policy when return back home. Thus saving money for 6 months.

Well there are multiple reasons why but I'm not an Auto Insurance agent so my information is a bit... questionable.

1 Some companies. if you are "uninsured" for so much as an hour they jack your rate like you can't believe.. Now I know you will still have insurance on other vehicles in force but you need to make sure that the car you drop does not get jacked on you.

2: other things can happen to the car.. Fire, Theft, natural disaster.

But different insurance companies may treat you differently here.

Storage level insurance on the car should not be that much.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Couple of things above I disagree with. 30+ years ago a tree fell on my untagged and uninsured RV trailer and homeowners paid for it. When my son was in the Air Force over seas a limb fell on his untagged and uninsured truck in my back yard and once more homeowners paid for the damage. In our state at that time if you dropped the insurance you had to turn in the tags but when you picked them up once more you just renewed without any kind of monetary penalty. Thats of coarse if they were paid for.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another consideration is that if you cancel your insurance, you will no longer will get any "loyalty" discounts. This could increase your vehicle insurance.

In addition, it could increase any other insurance you have with the same company.