Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Any old Dodge mechanics online here
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Any old Dodge mechanics online here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Old timer Dave

Quesnel, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the help you guys.
It is actually a 1978 dodge sportsman, don't know if it was a cut cab or cab and chassis. But started out as a van design.
The rear single axle with two wheels each side one inverted and covering the brake drum the other fitted the normal way around. That's my idea of a duely.
Most parts places on the internet have drawn a blank. But I did eventual get a reply from Napa with a list of parts. Now the daring question do they have them or can get them.
The rig is old but low mileage. The motor is a 360 4bl carb, A727 transmission and 4.10 rear end. If i've done my research correctly.
B300 series are supposed to fit according to the grape vine.

[email protected]
Dodge user

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes that is a dually,
And that is a Class C RV Motorhome,if the front rims are not the same as the rear rims, what you want to do, cannot be done, the issue was confused when you called the RV a one ton truck

It is a Class C RV, on a 1978 Dodge chassis

Regarding chassis running gear, Always go by the Chassis year on the vin plate
Not the RV model year, they are often different , the coach builders order incomplete vehicles aka bare chassis to build the RV on,

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old timer Dave

Quesnel, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thank you Mr Wizard for the clarification.
That is basically what I thought it was but I would have thought that a 1 ton van would have been build on a one ton truck frame.
Seems a bit illogical to have the thing on a uni-body thing. Especially if they are being modified to that extent.

If I had gone for a crawl under the thing I would have known. But since my health deteriorated if i have volunteers i utilize them.

Napa may be able to check the dimensions of everything and see if the B300 will fit as I came across a reference that they did.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought my Dodge was old ??

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes that is a dually,

Regarding chassis running gear, Always go by the "incomplete vehicle" Chassis year on the vin plate
Not the RV model year, they are often different , the coach builders order incomplete vehicles aka bare chassis to build the RV on,
When looking for parts you want parts for 197x dodge chassis with (chassis VIN xxxxx)
You can find a site on line. That will show you how to.decode the chassis vin# for specific details

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old timer Dave wrote:

I thank you Mr Wizard for the clarification.
That is basically what I thought it was but I would have thought that a 1 ton van would have been build on a one ton truck frame.
Seems a bit illogical to have the thing on a uni-body thing. Especially if they are being modified to that extent.

Very true, but this was not mfg and sold as a complete truck

Parts stores looking for one ton that old won't be thinking of something like an RV, when you tell them it's a Dodge sportsman
And Dodge sportsman Van won't list parts that fit your vehicle
Although the front wheels might be the same parts, the suspension and brakes must be heavier for the increased weight of the RV

Old timer Dave

Quesnel, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you kind sirs.
I have come across so many of these old dodge motor homes in this area I was thinking before it became ford country it belonged to dodge.
The VIN on the door tag (black and white) the year on that says 9 in the 6th digit of the VIN.the Wickes number matches. The door says its a model F30 I have pictures but cant get anything down to size anymore.
I just don't seem to get the hang of reducing things for the net.

In the past month I have found three of the same era all dodges on Kijiji in the same area. All the hunters must be upgrading at the same time.

Old timer Dave

Quesnel, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only thing that I found that is confusing is that the front axle weight according to the tag says 3300lb front axle weight and the registration says its a 1978. but both VIN numbers say 79.

Old timer Dave

Quesnel, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an idea for you that I was given by the parts department at one place.
The Model number of F30 they presume that the F3 denotes the MB300 chassis the next digit 0 denotes from the available stock. As the last run was in 74 that is the probable year of manufacture. 1974 parts are probably the same. Checking it out more online if I can. Hopefully I have Photos and measurements this weekend.
Does this sound as logical to you guys as it does to me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Any old Dodge mechanics online here
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS