Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Diesel truck issues - thinking of going to gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Diesel truck issues - thinking of going to gas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double post

* This post was edited 09/24/19 01:44pm by Grit dog *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I was looking at the specs on the new gas burners. We have a bumper pull horse trailer that is easily pulled by the truck, but we are about to buy a Jayco Eagle 355. I have looked and read and calculated all I can. Can someone give me some advice as to whether or not I'd be safe to pull the 5er with a 2500 gas? I'm just sick of the issues we are having with the diesel. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like much of the trucks issues is the dealer ship mechanics or the service dept super calling the wrong shots.

I've yet to see any owner with a 3/4 ton Ford/Ram or GM brag on how the good truck with the 6.0/6.2/6.4 small block gasser pulling a 14k-15k lb trailer.
I've seen more complain and even dump their small blocks for a diesel with those size trailers. Mosty complaints were from Ford 6.2 gas owners who bit into Fords 15.5k tow ratings.

As was said even a one ton SRW may be at its max load carrying capacity with trailers that size.

You might wait as Ford and GM are coming out with new 7.3 and 6.6 gassers with some good towing HP/torque numbers being thrown around.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

zenasboy

Southern Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got rid of my '02F350 7.3L back in the summer for a new '19 F350 6.2L w/ 4.30 gearing...pull a 5th wheel that I've weighed just under 12K pounds.

I absolutely love towing with this new truck; it outperforms my old truck in every way with the exception of mpg. Got 10-11 before and now getting right at 8. I know I"m not comparing apples to apples since I never towed with a new diesel so yeah I don't know what I'm missing out on in terms of the power now available in diesel but I'm not concerned about being the first one to the top of the hill. When I figured out $/mile in gas vs diesel it was an easy decision for me once seeing it would take over 100K miles to break even on the upfront cost of the diesel. Have pulled the trailer up some pretty steep hills this summer and the truck has never once lacked for power or made me think it was struggling.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA must have a blue state diesel levy since the price difference here in FL is about $.35 to $.40/gal. $2.45 vs $2.75 right now.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blcrandall wrote:

I also drive my daughter to school every day, and it's two hours roundtrip twice a day.

You spend 4 hours daily driving you daughter to school and back home? WOW!

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel and gas price differential depend on where you live, plus when. Here in AZ, part of the time diesel is more than gas, but almost as often, gas is higher. Right now, gas is 32 cents more per gallon than diesel fuel.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

PA must have a blue state diesel levy since the price difference here in FL is about $.35 to $.40/gal. $2.45 vs $2.75 right now.

There is something to this here in the PNW the price is about the same for gas and diesel. About $3.10 per gallon for both, not sure what the story up the coast in north Lincoln City as a couple stations have diesel at $2.69 a gallon it is normal #2 diesel not bio.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NW WA Diesel $2.95 and regular at Costco $2.65.

Op get your self another Dealer! Or better yet trade this one on the proper truck for this RV you mentioned.

Whistle? Sure it’s not the turbo?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you switch to gas I'll repeat what a couple others have said. Wait until the new Ford with the 7.3 comes out.

blcrandall

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alright. Thanks so much for the info. I truly appreciate those of you who gave great feedback and actually answered my questions! Gotta love when a few people seemingly cut you down for asking a question and trying to do research. Always a few onions in the bunch. [emoticon] Thanks, everyone! Lots to think about...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Diesel truck issues - thinking of going to gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS