cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Benefit to a cover

OBX-GL
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, just though i'd share some current revelations.

I discovered i have a small patch of de-lam occurring on the skinny/long strip of wall between my roof and slide. I really have no direct reason for it, the area is well sealed from my yearly maintaince.

I do have a strong suspicions however. Most areas where screws are used they are hidden in a strip molding covered by a push in plastic/rubber filler. location in my case is along the entire roof, holding down the EPDM membrane and involving the tiny drip/gutter bead. A similar strip is used for screwing the slide seals/flappers in place to the wall. I live in Canada, i believe frost snow and ice to be the active ingredient to my issue. I'm thinking moisture accumulates down in and around the slide seal when stored all winter closed. Expansion and contraction enables water into the wall at the screws. Upon pulling the EPDM back to re-laminate this area of wall i discovered most of the screws to be rusted or their heads snapping off. Everything was well calked/sealed except for the crew bead, covering it interferes with its later removal. The bead seal appears to be an ok method away from the moisture trap of the slide seal.

I was trouble shooting how to prevent moisture in this area during long winter storage when i realized the value of my trailer cover/bag. Of which i have owned for years and never used for various reasons. Fasepalm ! does anyone have advice or drawbacks when using covers ?

The days i will have spent repairing this de-lam will allow me plenty of time to reflect on the merits of fibreglass vs tin walls. Personally i will buy fibreglass again. Both are susceptible to water damage. Ultimately informed detailed yearly inspection is a mandatory requirement of both. I will grant tin has an advantage if water damage is left unattended for a long periods.

I believe a better bead method could be developed. What will i do differently, is caulking the screw holes an idea of value ?

Bottom line if you RV you better be rich or handy, ideally both.

Im interested in your thoughts.
2012 Heartland North Trail Caliber Edition 26RLSS
2022 RAM 2500 6.4L Crew 4x4 Long box 4.10 tow package
2012 Ram 2500 5.7L Crew 4x4 Long box 3.72 tow-package
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L QC 4x4 long box 3.92 tow-package
13 REPLIES 13

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
I removed those trim screws and wrapped the threads with eternabond tape then reinserted them. My goal is to do all external screws in this manner. Even the vertical trim piece screws get rusty from wicking water. Iโ€™m about 3/4 done. Will finish up next summer.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If your TT looks good as the day you bought it when you trade it in, you either used it very little or spend a lot of time maintaining and polishing.

We bought a gently used 3 years old Dutchmen TT and put 40,000 miles on it in the next five years. While it is true that washing and waxing makes it shine, there is no way to hide the accrued damage of active use.

I like the cover because it helps keep the ice and snow from direct contact with the roof. But I keep in mind that TTs depreciate very rapidly, regardless of the care and effort I put into it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Ever try to get a frozen cover off when there is a foot of snow on top of the ice? It's not easy, no more cover here.

No. Then again I never wanted to use the rig when there was a foot of snow on top of ice. In the part of the country we were in there were few places to go of any in the middle of winter.

If I thought I was going to use it, I would not have covered it to begin with. You just need to be smarter than the cover, and the weather.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
13 years of ADCO cover use and this is what our old Wildcat looked like the day we traded it in.
I attribute its like-new condition to winter covering.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Ever try to get a frozen cover off when there is a foot of snow on top of the ice? It's not easy, no more cover here.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Lynmore,

Your link locked up the firefox browser on my computer.

I use Firefox and didn't have a problem. I think you need to add or enable Adobe Flash in order to see it.

Firefox Flash update

I hate PhotoBucket and really need to move to something better. The problem also might be they are holding me hostage till I pay the ransom.

I hate PB as well. They lost all my pics and just said "Sorry, it happens sometimes".
Now I use Imgur. Never a problem and unlike PB, it loads super fast.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Lynmore,

I use Firefox and didn't have a problem. I think you need to add or enable Adobe Flash in order to see it.

Firefox Flash update

I hate PhotoBucket and really need to move to something better. The problem also might be they are holding me hostage till I pay the ransom.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have found a cover is useful. It helps keep the rig clean and protects it from sun damage.
Just make sure the RV is clean before installing and the cover is snug. Where I live we get a lot of winter wind, I've never had any damage from the wind causing the cover to rub the paint.

No, car dealers do not cover their inventory. But, many people buy a new car/truck, take it home and keep it in a garage.
It just makes sense to take care of your expensive purchases.

If you had a large garage would you leave the RV parked outside?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lynmore,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Gutter screws and others are often installed in a way that there is a direct path for water.
Here is what I found on my trailer that always garaged except when in use: Rusted screws.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Dealers don't use covers. When I go to the storage places in Regina, Sk, there are exactly zero covers in use.

Covers can (and do) flap in the wind creating wear on the skin.

Back up North we covered 5 different trailers over 20 years from end of November until late March. Never had anything wear through from the cover rubbing due to flapping in the wind. Not saying that's not a possibilty but IMO a remote one.

Dealers don't cover them and neither does the manufacturers, why would they? That cost money and once its sold its not their problem.

Blocking as much UV as you can for as long as you can is a benefit that can not be understated when dealing with sealants, plastic, fiberglass etc.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
If it's any comfort, screws corrode/snap off in Florida as well. Both trailers we owned (a used fifth wheel and a brand new Jayco WhiteHawk). And, both were stored in a carport style covered storage facility; never saw a flake of snow or any ice!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dealers don't use covers. When I go to the storage places in Regina, Sk, there are exactly zero covers in use.

Covers can (and do) flap in the wind creating wear on the skin.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.