cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Social Security and Mailing Address flagged as Commercial

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
A fulltimer friend of mine just messaged me this morning. She said they went to fill out social security paper work and their UPS Store address was flagged as commercial. Said it couldn't be used unless they actually lived there.

Any idea what I can tell her?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
11 REPLIES 11

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does UPS assign a residence address? I thought they were just a mail service.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Showing them a SS card would be problematic in this instance. ๐Ÿ™‚
Puma 30RKSS

LeslieCovin1974
Explorer
Explorer
Social security is one of those things most people never think about until they are getting ready to retire. For some people the prospect of signing on for benefits is a daunting task and most do not know where to begin. That is where the site ssa-office comes into play. If you look for your local social security office or you need help to sign up for yourself or others https://ssa-office.com/ is here to help you with all these tasks.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We both filed for our social security retirement benefits and used our mail forwarding address as our residence address. We stated we were living and traveling in our rv and they didn't bat an eyelash. Did them both online. We did not put PMB in our address, just used a dash between the sets of numbers. Our bank, credit card companies, insurance, taxes, everything is like that.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
Social Security has teleservice centers located in major population centers from east to west coast.

They have several hundred employees in each location. They take and process applications for benefits and process post entitlement actions. When you call SSA via the toll free number this is who you get.

I got this from someone with 38 years experience with the SSA. Most business can be handed by phone. They will tell you when a in office visit is necessary.

YES they do.......

BUT OPs friends ha e already done that and are haivng issues

NOW is time for face to face sit down with SS Office personel
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Social Security has teleservice centers located in major population centers from east to west coast.

They have several hundred employees in each location. They take and process applications for benefits and process post entitlement actions. When you call SSA via the toll free number this is who you get.

I got this from someone with 38 years experience with the SSA. Most business can be handed by phone. They will tell you when a in office visit is necessary.
From my experience, one of the reasons an office visit will be necessary is if a question of identity theft arises. There was an attempt to file a fraudulent tax return under my social security number. It was caught by the IRS, but now I have to file my taxes with a pin code that is generated yearly. I went to view the status of my social security account and due to that identity theft attempt my account was flagged and I could not use the online service until I went to an office in person and filled out a request for a pin number. Even then, the office couldn't just generate that number, they had to send my signed and witnessed request on to wherever and I got that pin in the mail around 6 weeks later.
I would assume using a commercial mailing service as your address would raise similar red flags. I actually appreciate the extra steps because it is still a whole lot easier to jump through those hoops than it would be to apply for benefits and then find out someone had been collecting them for years. I bet that journey would involve deep water moats filled with crocodiles and spiked walls that needed to be scaled all while be doused with flaming oil. Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I've passed the recommendation along.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Tell them to GO to the nearest Social Security OFFICE and have a sit down with one of the personel.
That way they can explain they are FTrs, have a legal address and discuss their options....all at one place at same time.

Make sure they bring SS Card, DLs, bank statement with UPS address or any other legal document that shows their UPS address (insurance, investments etc)
This! They are not trying to be a nuisance, they are trying to prevent fraud. Scammers would rejoice if they could fill out some on line forms and start having Social Security payments and statements flow to accounts and locations they control.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tell them to GO to the nearest Social Security OFFICE and have a sit down with one of the personel.
That way they can explain they are FTrs, have a legal address and discuss their options....all at one place at same time.

Make sure they bring SS Card, DLs, bank statement with UPS address or any other legal document that shows their UPS address (insurance, investments etc)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Tell her to tell them that the drop box is her mailing address and then tell them that they are full timers and if the interviewer can't handle that ask to speak to a supervisor.