cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front AC and Microwave won't work on Generator power.

Fotoman7
Explorer
Explorer
My front AC and Microwave quit working on generator power. My rear AC works fine. I checked my circuit breakers and notice that the microwave and AC are on th same 20/20 breaker, but it didn't seem to be tripped. Everything works fine on shore power.

Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what kind or age of coach or type of electrical service (30 or 50A). Could be a number of issues. If you have 30A service, there is almost certainly some type of energy management system. Our Bounder had 30A "shore" power but 50A generator service. It was a weird setup. When hooked up to shore power, it used an energy management system to alternate A/C's and shed certain loads but everything would run off the generator. If your coach has an energy management system, that would be a likely place to start looking.

There are a number of possible answers.
  • Internal generator issue
  • Breakers on generator
  • Transfer Switch
  • Energy management system
  • Disconnected/broken wire between any of the above

Since it works fine on shore power, it wouldn't be the breaker in the load center. The only "quick" checks would be breakers on the generator as others have suggested. Beyond that, its going to take some methodical troubleshooting. If you're comfortable using a volt meter, you can start tracing power from the generator to the transfer switch.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
There's a couple of circuit breakers on the generator. You might need to take the cover off to find them. After you reset them, remember you can't run your air conditioner and microwave at the same time - at least not while running the generator.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d check the breakers on the gen.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Breakers can look good and still be tripped. Flip the breaker off. If there is any springy feeling in the off direction then press harder until the breaker goes fully off. Then flip it back on and start up the generator.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are missing a phase from the generator. Check the breaker on you generator. Go ahead and cycle it off then back on just to be sure it is reset.

Bill
Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL