Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Popping sounds from Winnebago

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all-
Ok, we have a 2015 Itasca (Winnebago) Sunstar with just several thousand miles. Really good condition.

A few months after buying it, when we were staying for several months at a park we began to hear popping sounds that seemed to come from the jacks, like they were slipping a bit. And with each pop the coach would shudder just a bit; so we could feel as well as hear it. I called the jack mfr and was told that, yes, that can happen, the seals that surround each jack can dry out, and to drain the hydraulic fluid from the jack system enough to add a quart of "anti-stiction" fluid, which we did six months ago. As I remember the noise stopped for a few days after doing that, then started again.

Even though we're again parked long-term now I did bring the slides in and re-leveled the coach a few weeks ago. The noise stopped for a few days, then started again. And it's maddening; it can happen every few seconds for awhile, then stop for a few hours, then start again. And walking into or out of the coach *may* trigger it; I'm not completely certain.

I called LCI and they said they obviously can't diagnose it over the phone, it really could be a myriad of things, and to try the anti-stiction again.

I'm going to do the anti-stiction fluid treatment again, during which I'll re-level, and I'm guessing the noise will clear up for awhile. But I thought I'd run it by the forum. Anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts or ideas how to address it long-term? Could it be coming from something other than the jacks? Hard to tell just by listening.

Thanks-

Dave
14 REPLIES 14

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are self bleeding. There is a cap on the pump hydro system that has a vent in it.

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
I can believe that. I'd like to know how to purge air out of the system. I can absolutely see that as the cause.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a new Itasca Horizon in 2001 and it did the same thing. I was told was/is air in the hydraylic lines and as it worked it's way out, the rig would settle. It did stop making these noises after a few months. I think the longest we stayed in one spot was a couple of months, soo I really cannot relate to being set up longer than that.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
It can happen with jacks and it can also happen with side walls in sunshine. No big deal.
-jbh-

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I'll look there. Thanks.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
So does the jacks leak down back into the system or leak and flow out to the ground. You should have valves that hold the pressure to the jack till you hit down/store. If they are leaking then you would not be loosing fluid, just loosing level. Should be a troubleshoot manual for the model jacks that you have so that you can follow the steps.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Level the old fashioned way with blocks?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
Well good luck to you, hope you get it fixed.
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
Not like this. Popping every few seconds for minutes at a time while no one is even in the coach? We full-timed for five years in a diesel and never heard noises like this.

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
Jacks or not, with all the moving parts attached to the chassis I expect to hear some pops or creaking especially when I get up in the morning and walk my 200 lbs over to the coffee pot.

Thatโ€™s not to say there is nothing wrong but I ignore it as the coach stays level.
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Are you sure it's the jacks and not the chassis suspension settling?

Actually, no, I'm not sure. Not sure how to tell. Though if it does stop for a few days after leveling, that seems to me to indicate jacks.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Are you sure it's the jacks and not the chassis suspension settling?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't help you on the stuff you are mixing with the hydraulic fluid but I assume you are using Red hydraulic fluid or transmission fluid. Put some in a spray bottle and while you have the jacks all the way extended spray them from top to bottom and retract them. Do this several times and see if helps. I don't have your brand but they use Red hydraulic fluid and I spray them down. Use a clean cloth once you get them lube and wipe down the piston. Do this once a week before you retract them and they should last a very long time.

It might be time to flush your system and put in some new fluid. The seals do dry out so yes they need some clean fluid on them regularly .

I Just check their web site and they use hydraulic fluid so you could try a full synthetic transmission fluid of your choice and you should see some good results.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
It's a common issue with the Lippert Jacks. Some seem worse than others and as far as I know there has yet to be a satisfactory fix other than the stiction fluid. There are several brand options for the fluid, maybe a different brand might work better. Some report that they notice the problem more with temperature changes.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0