cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan gas generator want start

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Battery/starter turns over good. Full tank of gas. What should I check?
12 REPLIES 12

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There's help and then there's helpLESS. With more than a hundred posts and resultant requests for ANY info other than ONAN this does get old. I had five service manuals and seventy technical service bulletins for Onan. Two hundred fifty dollars worth. With 99 different control boards and thousands of permutations that DEMANDED to be sorted out BEFORE diagnostics even began. Or am I wasting my time even explaining this?

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those that provided positive and helpful information. For those that made negative comments, just donโ€™t comment if you canโ€™t or donโ€™t want to help.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
This is why I left this site. People asking for help but not telling you what they have.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
If you open up your generator compartment and look inside there will be a nameplate on the Onan generator. This will tell you the model number of your generator.

Some newer Onan generators have a display that will generate error codes that can help diagnose problems.

The first thing to confirm is are you getting fuel. The Onan generators have an external fuel pump. The easiest way to test this is to hook a clear rubber tube up to the outlet of the fuel pump and stick the other end in a gas can. When you try and start the generator you should see a flow of fuel. Alternatively you can hook the fuel pump up to 12 volts and make it run that way.

Be careful here as you are playing with an open can of gasoline and could be making sparks. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Another thing you can do without cracking anything open is just try to start the generator half a dozen times. You should smell gasoline from the exhaust if the engine is getting gas.

You can also pull one of the 2 spark plugs (the front one is usually easier to get at) and see if it is wet. If it's we and smells like gas, you are getting gas.

Next check for spark. You can get cheap inline spark testers like this for less than $10:

https://www.amazon.com/ENA-Universal-Automotive-Motorcycle-Fool-Proof/dp/B07GHBNFKZ

Beware it can be hard to see the light bulb light up in direct sunlight. But it's super easy - disconnect the spark plug wire from the spark plug, and stick this tester in the middle. Now the light bulb lights up as electricity goes to the spark plug. Ideally you'd test this on both spark plugs but it's hard to get at the one on the back side of the generator. Generally if you're getting spark up front then you are probably getting spark in the back.

The most common problem with these generators is the fuel pump quits working or the carb gets gummed up from not being run often enough. It is critical to run these generators every month under load for at least 30 minutes. The heat and vibration and flushing with fresh gasoline helps keep the inside of the carburetor clean. This is especially true with today's ethanol gasoline. If your carb sits you can end up with condensation water inside the carb and things start growing in there. Varnish, gum, debris, mold and gunk clogs the tiny passages inside the carb and require a rebuild or new carb to fix. "Mechanic in a can" fixes like Seafoam, etc., seldom work.

Also check your oil level. As others said, some Onan generators have will shut down if they do not detect oil pressure.

If your control board is suspect, Flight Systems will diagnose it for $20 and put the price of the test towards a new board if you buy one from them.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP wants you to search for that information. I looked at his profile and see a picture of a 2006 Pace Arrow and under it he's put his information:
bennefim wrote:
36 Ft, Model 36D
Workhorse Chasis, 8.1 V8
Allison 1000 Transmission
TOAD: 2008 Honda CRV
RoadMaster Tow Equipment

Wouldn't it be great if he had posted that with his request for assistance?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes...as above post states; how about a model/spec./ser no.?
Back to basics; if internal combustion engine has air/fuel, compression, spark (at right time) then should run. have to determine what is missing. check fuel to carb, spark at plug, etc.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"My car doesn't run right"

What's that? What's that? you ask?

Oh by the way (after lots of demands for further info) "It's an electric car".

Without added information a question is worthless. Brand and model number of unit.

Doctor! Doctor! I don't feel well. Tell me why.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
When's the last time you ran it, and do you have a fuel cutoff or drain your float bowl?...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
How about a little history. Did it used to run? How long ago? Could be a clogged carb, could be something else.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
After you've held in the stop button a couple of times till the light goes out, try draining the fuel bowl on the carburetor to see if it's full meaning the generator is getting gas. If it's not buy enough gas line to go from the fuel pump inlet to a gas can and see if you can get some gas into the fuel bowl. If you've got spark, fuel and compression it should start.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Oil level. They shut off if it gets too low.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)