Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Sanitizing fresh water tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Sanitizing fresh water tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys, my searches are coming up empty, and I forgot( ol timers[emoticon] ) what I've been using in the past. Also what do you do for the H2O tank besides draining n rinsing ?.....I think I used regular clorox or not ?

scout4trout

Cody, WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are suggestions on-line. This is the one we follow:

To sanitize the water system use a quarter cup of household bleach for every fifteen gallons of water your fresh water tank holds. Mix the bleach, with water, into a one-gallon container and pour it into the fresh water holding tank. Fill the fresh water tank almost completely full of potable water. Turn the water pump on, open all hot and cold faucets and run the water until you smell the bleach at each faucet. Close the faucets. If it’s possible drive the RV or pull the trailer so the water can move around to assist in cleaning the entire tank. Let it sit for at least 12 hours. Drain the entire system again and re-fill the fresh water tank with potable water. Open all of the faucets and run the water until you no longer smell any bleach. It may be necessary to repeat this process again to eliminate all signs of bleach from the water system. Once this is done it is safe to use your water system.

2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436
2017 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman with preferred options

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now and then, city water gets put in the tank or run thru the lines, that's all I ever do. How often do you sanitize to water system in your house?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To safely and immediately kill the bleach, dump 1/4 cup (or more, doesn't matter) of Hydrogen Peroxide in your tank when you refill with fresh water. The chemical reaction will desroy any hint of the bleach and is perfectly safe.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on scout’s post.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never flush and seldom drain since I don't live in freezing area.
When I drain, I open the valve at least 1 hr before reaching home, so driving motion will get water up to side drain.

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Never flush and seldom drain since I don't live in freezing area.
When I drain, I open the valve at least 1 hr before reaching home, so driving motion will get water up to side drain.

This practice annoys me when I’m riding my motorsickle... until I verify it’s fresh water draining [emoticon]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What else you think it might be?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be a lot of different liquids.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some RV's have electric remote flush valves. If I was on a motorcycle, I would change lanes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Sanitizing fresh water tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS