Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Lippert auto leveling question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lippert auto leveling question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbyg123 wrote:

Thanks everyone. I hear what you’re all saying, but my question is more conceptual. With the unit unhitched and supported by the landing gear, how does the lippert system level the camper without bending or breaking the landing gear? I’m not grasping how it can pitch the rig forward without causing damage.
It levels front to back and side to side. The tires don't necessarily come off the ground - mine never have. There should be a step by step instruction sticker by the keypad - follow the instructions - that's it. But do yourself a favor and download the manual to your phone - we have had to use it when there is an unexpected error.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbyg123 wrote:

Thanks everyone. I hear what you’re all saying, but my question is more conceptual. With the unit unhitched and supported by the landing gear, how does the lippert system level the camper without bending or breaking the landing gear? I’m not grasping how it can pitch the rig forward without causing damage.

it used your landing gear to do the leveling.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbyg123 wrote:

There is no pitching forward, the landing gear, and two rear jacks go up, or down to level the unit. and have a limit to the length they can go out.
Sometimes blocks are needed to help in the process.

Bob Shaw

Newnan Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, there are instructions on the inside of your LP compartment door. What I do is lower the front jacks a little 3-4 inches, then drop the lower drop legs. Then go to manual mode and lower the front jacks to unhitch from truck, stop when the hitch just starts to lift from the 5th wheel. Un-hook and unplug, pull the truck away, (you may have to backup slightly to take pressure off of your hitch to release the jaws), remembering to lower you tailgate first, and then hit autolevel, and it will take over from there. The jacks are solidly built and will easily take the eweight of the trailer, although I wouldn't start out with it so unlevel that it lifts the wheels off of the ground. You shouild also have a cd that explains how to level your trailer. Your dealer should not have let you leave without demonstrating, especially if your new to 5th wheels, and given that some of the auto-leveling systems were miswired, and may not work correctly. Be careful to not move your trailer when the jacks are down, Lippert does not sell parts for the Ground Control 3.0 jacks, just the entire jacks.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I back in and look at my levels (they have inch marks) that I installed on my pin box.If off more than 2 1/2" side to side I'll put blocks on the low side.Then I'll look and see how much off front to rear. Then if I'm showing low in the front I drop the leg extender and lift of the hitch. Move the truck and hit auto level. If high in the front let's say 5" then I'll run the front main legs down about 6" then drop the leg extenders lift of the hitch move the truck and hit auto level. If high in the front you need to run the main leg out so it has room to drop down to level or almost level.Now let's say the front is 5" high but you only ran the main leg down a couple inches.Auto level can only lower the front 2" at most and will to have to raise the rear 4" + to get to level.Maybe I just worry more than I should about lifting the whole camper.That's how I do it maybe more work than I need to be doing.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lippert auto leveling question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS