Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Kiplinger: 13 Reasons You'll Regret An RV In Retirement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Kiplinger: 13 Reasons You'll Regret An RV In Retirement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Never considered the cost but surely not gonna lay on the couch clutching my money. Lol
Or be buried with it.

Maybe next month they'll write about how it's cheaper to stay in fleabag motels than 5 star ones.

Marcela

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedbugs. Hate bedbugs.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope it steers many away from RVing. There's too many of us already! [emoticon]

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, its a typical generic "one size fits all" click bait article perfect for today's social media appetite. You could change the RV reference to anything, ie: golfing, fishing, NASCAR racing, the symphony, target shooting, hunting, sailing, flying, ocean cruising, drifting, scuba diving, water/snow skiing, gold digging, etc. and only slightly edit the article/photos and you have next months "lifestyle" cover story.

Hey, . . . . if you like to RV, you'll probably still like RV'ing even after reading the article. If you don't, now you'll have many of the reasons why you don't, all organized together so you won't have to spend any precious "organic CPU time" and money figuring out why. It's the virtual experience. Perfect!

Chum lee

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK and now we need 13 points on being stuck at home with many limitations and expenses. Or 13 reasons to not to retire into an apartment with forever escalating rent and bad neighbors or landlord. Pick your poison. Although for the well heeled I understand it is not terribly expensive to spend multiple years on a cruise ship.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoever wrote that report obviously has never had any experience owning or maintaining a real cruising boat. Break Out Another Thousand: BOAT.

One thing RVs do is depreciate quicker. My estimate is that mine has depreciated $25 per night of use in the past 10 years. Scary thought. We get about 150 nights use a season.

Hate to think what the per night depreciation cost is for those who roll over & get a new one every couple years & only do a few weeks use each year.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

They make valid points if all you're thinking about is money. I got into RVing because I liked it, not because of money. I really don't care what it costs.

Kind of agree, I enjoy Rving. At this point in my life money is a factor, later on hopefully not so much.

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

RVs Guzzle Gas. Who'da thunk that?

And the bed bugs are targeting RV's jumping in whenever they have a chance.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that the author of that piece is practicing to become a politician. Party is not specific, but the lies and cherry-pick facts are.

We did the (maybe fly) car/restaurant/motel thing when between RVs. I can tell you (as an engineer that lives on the bottom right corner of a spreadsheet) that what we are doing is both more convenient and less costly. Have a cool antique coach is just icing.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite thing about traveling in an RV is that no matter what we do during the day, sight-seeing, hiking, fishing or whatever, and no matter where we are doing it, at the end of the day I am home. Sitting in my comfortable chair, my favorite drinks in the refrigerator and then sleeping in my own bed.

The only positive I can say about the article is that many people have the misconception that RVing is cheap, and I’d imagine very few new RV owners have any idea of the maintenance required.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Kiplinger: 13 Reasons You'll Regret An RV In Retirement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS