Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Personal experience with having slides and no slides?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Personal experience with having slides and no slides?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first trailer had no slides. our second had a 16" deep step up super slide. the one after that had a 30" deep flush floor super slide. its nice to have the elbow room and being able to turn around inside without worrying what you were going to bump into. we now have a class A with 3 slides. We love the extra room it offers. in 14 year of owning slides we have never had any kind of issue. the weight penalty is minimal for the space they provide!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For our 2 RVs with slides: Advantage is more space.

Disadvantages: More cost and maintenance (seals, toppers, equipment to move slides, etc.). Narrow or restricted sites for slide deployment and/or less room outside. Our rigs have basement storage under the slides and the access is more restricted when the slides are extended. Restricted inside access with the slides in like cabinets, beds and some even report bathrooms.

OP and others: Always check all inside and outside access both inside and out before any purchase. What about access at a rest stop? What about access on a street when the street side slides cannot be extended or even trees on the curb side. And we park at a family house where turning the RV around is not allowed.

The advantages for us outweigh the disadvantages. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 08/26/19 08:42pm by CA Traveler *

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

For our 2 RVs with slides: Advantage is more space.

Disadvantages: More cost and maintenance (seals, toppers, equipment to move slides, etc.). Narrow or restricted sites for slide deployment and/or less room outside. Our rigs have basement storage under the slides and the access is more restricted when the slides are extended. Restricted inside access with the slides in like cabinets, beds and some even report bathrooms.

OP and others: Always check all inside and outside access both inside and out before any purchase. What about access at a rest stop? What about access on a street when the street side slides cannot be extended or even trees on the curb side. And we park at a family house where turning the RV around is not allowed.

The advantages for us outweigh the disadvantages. [emoticon]

also check that driver's seat position can be adjusted for comfort with the street side slide IN. can the seat be moved back fat enough, back tilted far enough, etc.

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grew up without slides.

Friends got a tiny 6' slide that went out 12", it was incredible how much more room you have.

Now have a 14' slide that goes out 42" and wouldn't give it up.

Just opens things up so much it's not worth losing. Never had any significant issues.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started off with a 19' Corsair and no slides.... 2 RV's later we landed a 32' Prowler with slides and WOW ! !

Now we have 5 slides and will not have an RV without them.... They just give too much room. Our first RV with slides was 1997, not 1 issue with slides from that point...

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheryl_B wrote:

...snip..... You talk to someone just in passing and you say you want something with slides this next time and they start telling you all the stuff that could go wrong......snip.....

Change "could" to "will" and you will have my experiences with slides. I have had three trailers with and four without in the last twenty years. The ones with were fun. The ones with, leaked or required more maintenance than those without. My current and future trailers will not have slides. I don't need the room, as I am a single camper. I don't need the complications, as I am a lazy camper.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a no-slide 28' Class C for over 10 years - during that time we did a LOT of sightseeing which meant we were in a different campground every night. It was incredibly-easy; if we arrived at a location late at night, all we needed to do was throw out the electrical cord. No set-up needed; if it was level enough that we didn't risk falling out of bed, it was good enough...lol! But after spending a month in it during a trip to Alaska, I'll admit that it did start to feel cramped.

As we began to spend more time Snowbirding and staying at a location for a week at a time, we were grateful for our 28' 5th wheel with a single 13' slideout. Compared to the Class C, the 5er felt like a small "apartment". No more shimmying past Ed in the narrow hallway; or stepping over a sleeping dog. The setup/takedown was a bit more "fussy"; but the payoff in space was worth it. The slideout created 2 problems, though: on ours, we couldn't access the pantry with the slide in (duh - the thing that needs to be packed for every trip!); and our heat ducts were covered when the slide was in. For the few nights in freezing temps as we traveled home, when we would have preferred to NOT open the slider, it was still necessary to do so.

IMO, for fulltiming (assuming you are sitting in one place for a while) - slideouts would be mandatory. They make a massive amount of difference!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE started out in WW II army cots and tents....then to truck campers in the late '60s.....then to 5th wheel trailers in the early 80s.

The 1st 5er was a new 26' rear bath with no slides.

Next was a 27'RK with the big 13' slide.

Liked it so well our next 5er was a 28RK with tow slides.

I'm 77 years old so Put me in the will have slides camp.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheryl,

Yes, I bet you didn't find this discussion before and I am so glad you asked the question.

This comes down to the "How are you going to use the unit" question. I am not going to try to answer it, but I will hopefully provide some thinking direction.

Slides do add "free" floor space. Friends have one that is very nice. They have never had trouble with it, but as Dutchman noted, they do require additional maintenance. In my opinion, this cannot be overstated.

Another issue that stopped us from acquiring a unit with slide(s) is that with one unit we looked at the galley and/or head (I really don't recall what) access was made difficult with the slide(s) in travel position. This may be less of an issue to a solo. This is a very unit dependent issue.

If you are a big time traveler, the beauty of slides is diminished. Only diminished and not eliminated.

The slide mechanism is all a purchased part not unlike the chassis of most coaches. So, if you are considering a specific unit, get to the group for that unit and see how common difficulties are with the slides. I do know of some that have been flawless for a very long time. They are not all that way.

Our current coach was on the road about two decades before slides came it the general market. (The earliest I have seen were part of the GMC Futurliner (c.1939) We just live with it, but we also had a small sailboat for a while and that was good practice.

So, there is a great big non-answer that (I hope) may help your consideration.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a small 2000 5th wheel with no slides and went to a 30 ft. Class C with 2 slides. We have liked and thought both were OK. There's no questioning the added space with slides but units without seem to design so that you don't notice it as much as 1 might think. So far we have not had mechanical failure with our 15 year old slides on our Winnebago but I know some do. Airstream doesn't use slides and neither does Lazy Daze motor homes and I would look at one if I could find one nearby. What one thinks one has to have is largely a state of mind and adapting. I met a guy who ordered no slides because he camps a lot in cold weather.

Jayco-noslide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Personal experience with having slides and no slides?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS