Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Solar Panel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solar Panel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a new northern Lite and the solar panel is not working is there a fuse? and if iso does anyone know where to look for it it is nor in the inverter converter box with the other fuses and circuit breakers. Thanks

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check near the solar controller.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could also be the controller or even wiring.

To check the panel: Look up the specs. Then locate the panel wires (not the controller output wires), disconnect one and then with good sun check the voltage which should be very close to Voc (open circuit). Next short the 2 wires and the amps should be close to Isc (short circuit). These 2 measurements are a very good test of a panels performance.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How new is "new"? Is it under warranty? If so, don't touch it!

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

To check the panel: Look up the specs. Then locate the panel wires (not the controller output wires), disconnect one and then with good sun check the voltage which should be very close to Voc (open circuit). Next short the 2 wires and the amps should be close to Isc (short circuit). These 2 measurements are a very good test of a panels performance.

Ok, I don't wish to appear dumb but if he were to short the two wires from the panel, where would he place the meter leads. When shorted it would appear to be a close loop.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

I have a new northern Lite and the solar panel is not working is there a fuse? and if iso does anyone know where to look for it it is nor in the inverter converter box with the other fuses and circuit breakers. Thanks
Our '19 NL has the solar controller output, jacks, converter output, and the fridge (supply current for the DC boiler heater only--not the fridge DC control circuits) wired directly to the battery via 4 different leads (ours are labeled). There are resettable fuses for most (if not all) of these 4 circuits/leads located directly above the batteries. Just trace the leads back to confirm. None of these circuits/leads pass through the DC/AC fuse/power panel inside the camper. Hope this helps.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using a volt meter at the solar charge controller what voltage if any do you see on the solar terminals and on the battery terminals?

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you say the "solar panel is not working", is this observation based on the LED and LCD indicators on the front of the Enerwatt EWC-30 solar controller? Or, did you make some voltage/current checks?

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

got it fixed the fuse, was behind board thanks guys I have had two previous truck campers then a class C then the wife had to have a 40 foot diesel A. Then she finds out our favorite places in the mountains have a 35 foot limit, of coarse it is my fault, she picked the 10-2 EX CD SE dry bath Northern Lite over the 2500 10.4 Bigfoot I do not know all the why's, the Bigfoot has a much nicer layout and hands down a better dry bath and it was 4K cheaper the only extra the Northern Lite had that the Bigfoot did not come stock with was one solar panel. And I told her the Bigfoot is already wired for solar. (for 4K I could have put 400 watts or more on the Bigfoot) Then she told me but the Northern Lite has a slide out pantry. Ahh, but the wife is happy , I am very sincere in saying thank you to all of you that helped me with my truck camper questions and solving some problems. Hope I can some day return the kindness and generosity of your time that you took to answer and help me thank you, thank you

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

Ok, I don't wish to appear dumb but if he were to short the two wires from the panel, where would he place the meter leads. When shorted it would appear to be a close loop.
I use a AC/DC clamp on ammeter to measure amps, just clamps around the shorted wires. It also measures voltage, ohms, etc. Or use an ammeter on the wires and many meters have 10A capability.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solar Panel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS