cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking aft used trucks - "?' flood damage

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
as looking for a used truck, about 3 years oil, I noticed under rear very clean, the break lines looked as if they were new with clean tages, on them, and weld seams had rust on them, like new rust. Also inside the tail pipe was clean with rust spots. any way to tell if its from a flood area and been clean up. And does it realy matter.
ROBERT L MC INTYRE
15 REPLIES 15

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
For how much these used trucks cost and for whatever reason you perceive saving some huge amount of money buying used, spend a few of those $$ and get a professional set of eyes on it. A bunch of guys on the internet can pretend to give you solid advice but there is no substitute for a professional set of eyes. Just like you do things in your job that no one else could with some internet advice, vehicle inspection pros can spot things in seconds that can slip buy even the best internet inspection cowboy.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
The buyers that come to these salvage auctions are generally not crooks , they do not want the problems that can come with a bad auto or title . Myself I have been called to testify against a Georgia dealer who had a successful system to "wash " titles .He got 2 years as a guest of the state and
$110,000 fine . Carfax is not the answer , I once bought a new Ford from a dealer and as it was free to me I ran the Carfax , they said that it had been in a wreck 4 months before it came off the factory floor .I am sure most are correct but myself would not waste my time or money on Carfax .

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
By law salvage autos are marked with DMV , maybe ! I spent 30 years in Insurance salvage and there are many ways that this fails . Many large businesses and municipalities will " self insure " and no DMV will be involved . Some autos will only carry liability insurance , if flooded no insurance claim so no DMV .Out right flood fraud is not a giant problem in this country but do not assume that Carfax is a cure all.
After a large storm insurance companies will call in their CAT TEAM and prepare to handle anywhere from ten to 40, 000 autos .Some autos may sit in the salvage yards for years as we can not sell them until paperwork catches up . Companies such as Sadisco, Copart , Manheim and a whole bunch of alphabet ones will transport ,do paper work and sell these autos .

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
never beleave carfax ,they only see what some body put on paper,and miss that some times.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove the plastic door sill and look for silt.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Just a simple question, aren't vehicles that are salvaged out due to flood damage, cleaned up and then resold listed as such in DMV records and in insurance company records? It seems that a Carfax or such would turn up that information. Insurance companies don't like insuring flood damaged vehicles, very expensive when problems arise.

It is possible to "wash" the title, turning a salvage into a clean vehicle.

Carfax isn't perfect.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Just a simple question, aren't vehicles that are salvaged out due to flood damage, cleaned up and then resold listed as such in DMV records and in insurance company records? It seems that a Carfax or such would turn up that information. Insurance companies don't like insuring flood damaged vehicles, very expensive when problems arise.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check rear differential and front if 4 wheel drive. Flood vehicles are a PITA with so many unscrupulous dealers sending them all over the country.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mac, you’re thinking right by looking at things that might be out of place on a used truck and I’d say extra clean underneath and clean tags on the brakes and less rust? than there should be on a vehicle after a few NE winters is not really normal, but there are other explanations.
Like was the truck detailed extraordinarily well? Could be one of those dealers that steam cleans the whole vehicle. 1 explanation for it being cleaner than it should be.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
Thats some good stuff, Just looking for some signs to look for. thank for info,
ROBERT L MC INTYRE

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe that ya'll have scared everyone away from a used vehicles. Every thing that he noticed is normal wear and tear .
I just went outside and looked at my 5 year old truck and it looks as he described , maybe it flooded when I was not looking !

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Flood vehicles can be a disaster in the making. With all of the computers on board water is a big enemy. Water can also get in the diff gears. It can sometimes take months to show up, but it usually eventually will. Check places where you know there shouldn’t be any sign of water; under the carpet and under the dashboard. If you’re suspicious, take it to a qualified mechanic that you trust and have them inspect it. It will be well worth the couple of hundred or so dollars to find out.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check YouTube for videos on identifying flood vehicles.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting report, Bobs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad