cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to install tires on my truck camper setup

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Ram 3500 LB SRW CTD that is stock (suspension, tires, etc). The truck carries my Northern Lite truck camper (around 4000 lb total payload) around half the time. With the stock setup, the truck is slightly nose up such that I sometimes get flashed at night (it's not that bad, but could be better if I was picky).

I hate the stock Firestone tires (boring, narrow) but they performed ok on road and seemed fine on snowy roads. That said, I want something a bit more aggressive looking and wider in an AT for my next set. I have been told by tire shops that I can fit 34x12 on stock rims without issue. If I want wider (35x12.5), it would require rims and should add front leveling. If I do that, I'd need air bags too.

Anyone with a similar setup want to recommend a setup? If leveling and air make a huge improvement to the ride quality, I'd rather get it done now to open tire options. I don't think going to 35's over 34's would make as much difference as the width.

Thoughts?
52 REPLIES 52

frusteri4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello OP, what gear ratio do you have. Power will be down with tall tires. Also I added a 2" block I the rear, get rid of the sag.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I installed Firestone air bags instead of stable loads and then went with open range 295/70R18 tires. Only problem I had was the bay was too short to back the truck out of. After dumping air i was good though.

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
996Pilot wrote:
Cooper Discoverer LT295/70R18 will fit on the stock RAM 18" rim and are rated for 4080# each.

Exactly the Tire I just bought along with the Method 305 NV Heavy Duty Rims with a 4500 weight capacity per wheel. Expensive upgrade? Very much so, overkill for a F350 SRW hauling 4000 lb Camper? No at least not in my opinion.

JW2
Explorer
Explorer
Specta:

How are those Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tires working out for you?

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I put new tires on my truck. I put on Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx in 275/70R18 which is the stock size on my 2017 F350. I really like the tread design. They consider it a hybrid meaning it is between an all terrain and a mud terrain.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I can create a new topic if this gets no response, but has anyone installed stable loads on a SRW Ram 3500? The fron on mine has ~1" gap, but the back is much less. I can't fit The bolt in the front let alone the back. I'm sure I could jack the truck up so the axle pulls down on the spring pack or use a pry bar to open the gap. But, if the gap is that small in the back, will I be able to get a single wedge in at all?!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Drilling hardened steel is not that hard if you follow simple rules
-industrial drill bit sharpened at wide ange
-low speed, high torque drill
-lot of cooling fluid
-good and steady pushing force
Lot of guys put the bit in high-speed drill and wobble that during the drilling.
All that does is dull the bit.

But it sucks upside down under your truck, by hand.
Scratch the cooling fluid when drilling upside down too.
Careful use of a floor jack as an ad-hoc drill press helps though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
So after looking closely, my springs are pre-drilled. They have rubber plugs that should be removable and, a cording to TorkLift, makes it possible to easily install the A7310 system. I'm planning on picking up a set tomorrow so I can install next week. They are pretty inexpensive due to DIY install and no downside that I can see. Worst case, I still need air bags.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Drilling hardened steel is not that hard if you follow simple rules
-industrial drill bit sharpened at wide ange
-low speed, high torque drill
-lot of cooling fluid
-good and steady pushing force
Lot of guys put the bit in high-speed drill and wobble that during the drilling.
All that does is dull the bit.

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper Discoverer LT295/70R18 will fit on the stock RAM 18" rim and are rated for 4080# each.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
bkenobi wrote:
The truck has factory 18" wheels. TorkLift suggested that if I added air bags, installing stable loads to engage the springs would help quite a bit. My truck requires drilling the springs for installation, so not sure I want to do that myself based on how hard that metal is and the resulting drill time at a bad angle.

I had to drill the 2006 RAM lowers. It was a piece of cake. I placed a block of wood on a floor jack with the drill motor placed onto the block of wood. Slowly raise the floor jack applying constant pressure at a moderately slow drill speed with some cutting oil - viola. Torklift gives you four drill bits (one for each spring) with the kit, I used one drill bit for all four. No worries. HOWEVER -- my 2015 RAM 3500 SRW had holes from the factory - no drilling required.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Sailun Terramax 4s. Simple Tire or WalMart.com.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
bkenobi wrote:
So what about wheel size? I've read a lot about 19.5's but other than making commercial tires available, I'm not clear of the benefit. Are commercial better/cheaper/something else?

Makes load range "G" and "H" tires available. Silly expensive. Not all tire shops carry or can work with 19.5's. Harder sidewall, less flex. Might be retreadable.

I run LR "G" tires on my F250 for ~4000lb camper and gear.

- Mark0.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I had 19.5 wheels in my F450 and was carrying 10,000 lb forklifts on it.
You have more rubber choices with 19.5 size and good brands will last 100k miles, when $120 tires still delivered 60k.
You will loose comfort and traction with those tires, but that in lousy on pickups to start with.