Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: British Columbia, Canada
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> British Columbia, Canada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took the Coquihalla highway southbound in March on our way to Vancouver Island. It snowed fairly heavily and driving was a little tough with few places to get off for a rest until we were nearly to highway 3 at the south end. Behold there was a nice, friendly private campsite where we had a quiet night and good showers in the morning. On a back road toward Hope we saw the entrance to a park with historic railway tunnels. Unfortunately it was still closed for winter.

Canyon Provincial Park

We continued to the coast (fill up with fuel in Hope before high lower mainland prices) and had a nice time on Vancouver Island - no snow and wading in the ocean was pleasant. The whale watching boat in the west coast made me very sick so I couldn’t drive for a day and the narrow, winding highway eastward was tough for DW to drive.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Old Islander

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey51 wrote:

We took the Coquihalla highway southbound in March on our way to Vancouver Island. It snowed fairly heavily and driving was a little tough with few places to get off for a rest until we were nearly to highway 3 at the south end. Behold there was a nice, friendly private campsite where we had a quiet night and good showers in the morning. On a back road toward Hope we saw the entrance to a park with historic railway tunnels. Unfortunately it was still closed for winterCanyon Provincial Park

Thanks for that link, Harvey. I've lived here all my life and didn't know about that park. I'll make a special trip there and see it soon. My granddad was a conductor on the famous 'Kettle Valley Railway' and would have been through those tunnels hundreds of times, back when the railway was still in operation.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey51 wrote:

(fill up with fuel in Hope before high lower mainland prices)

if you getting diesel, lickman road in Chilliwack is the cheapest place I find to fill up, cheaper than hope. for gas I am not sure how cheep they are compared to others. getting the gas buddy app is a great way to know when to fuel up for better pricing.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LindaAnn, lower mainland BC is one of if not the most beautiful spots on the continent. You can spend the night or longer in Hope, nice little town, but not really "out of the way." The Coq is not scary in the summer unless your rig is under powered or your brakes are bad, lol. And it's very scenic, just not a peaceful drive, it's a (the only) freeway. 3 is a nicer route East/West.
Whatever you head, it will be a wonderful trip!

Winter time, if we're headed to Penticton or Kelowna for hockey, we typically avoid the Coq coming from WA due to road conditions and the propensity for accidents if the roads turn to _____. Otherwise, it's the quickest route across.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> British Columbia, Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS