Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Steering Wheel cocked. I fixed it!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Steering Wheel cocked. I fixed it!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jackie

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year, my wife and two friends took a trip out west in our Monaco Diplomat DP. The Power Steering Head went out in Utah.

She found a truck repair shop that could order a rebuilt unit and install it. She rented a car for the week.

When she finally got home, she said the Coach drove fine, but the steering wheel was now off center a lot. More of an annoyance than anything.

But last Sunday I decided to fix it. I read up on it, and came to the conclusion that the shop that replaced the head should have adjusted the Drag Link. Heck, I could do that.

I took the Coach to my shop, (I own a Machine Shop), and removed the big drag link ball joint from the Pitman Arm. I loosened the clamp that locks the ball joint thread, and tried to screw it in. It would not budge.

I removed the other ball joint from the driver's side steering arm, and removed the whole drag link so I could secure it in a large vice. Even after applying heat and liquid wrench, it still would not turn. I figure the threads was galled.

This is why the shop in Utah did not adjust the length of link.

Rather than just putting it back together, I decided to fix it by making the drag link adjustable in place.

I took a piece of 4140 steel bar stock, cut it about 7 1/2 inches long, and threaded one end for 1 1/4 12 TPI right hand, and the other end for 1 1/4 12 TPI left hand thread. I also had to make two jam nuts.

I then cut a 4 inch section out of the drag link at a appropriate spot. I drilled and tapped each end with the same 1 1/4 12 TPI, one left hand, one right.

I then assembled the drag link with the "turnbuckle" in place, and remounted the link from the pitman arm to the steering arm. I shortened it about what I thought it needed.

Did a test drive, I had to adjust it a tad more, and now the steering wheel is dead straight when going down the freeway.

I would post a picture of the fix, but I see there is no provision, such as a "manage attachments", for doing such.

[image]

By the way. I am 72 years old, and getting to old to be climbing around under a motor home. But my wife is happy.

* This post was last edited 08/21/19 03:26pm by jackie *   View edit history

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very ingenious fix! Sounds like something I might have done when I was 72. [emoticon]

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

jackie

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zigzagrv wrote:

Very ingenious fix! Sounds like something I might have done when I was 72. [emoticon]

I would love to post a picture, any idea how to on this site?

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use this app provided by member 1492. Upload the photo, copy the link and paste it into your post.

jackie

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old IPad does not contain the 11 update, so the App won't load. I have a new IPad at home, it might.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a RV you will never have a issue. But a truck, that found on a roadside safety check the vehicle would be impounded, not allowed to move until replaced.

jackie

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

On a RV you will never have a issue. But a truck, that found on a roadside safety check the vehicle would be impounded, not allowed to move until replaced.

I would never do this for anyone else. I consider it a viable, and completely safe fix, but for my use only.

My primary hobby is Benchrest Shooting. I shoot NBRSA Competition, both Score and Group. Since I own a machine shop, I am able to build my own Rifles that I use in Matches.

While I get inquiries all of the time, I cannot build Rifles for other shooters, including my friends.

Far too much liability.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess you should have searched a little more as all that’s necessary to center is to remove the steering wheel shaft from the U joint at the base of the steering column (inside the MH)...takes all of 6-8 minutes. It’s a 10mm bolt holding the shaft in.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jackie wrote:

I would never do this for anyone else. I consider it a viable, and completely safe fix, but for my use only.

I agree, it is likely safe. Viable, not sure. The problem was installed at the same time as a part. Most of my life, that was a indication of a mistake in the installation, or less likely, the part.
Are you sure you did not change the toe-in?

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ Are you sure you did not change the toe-in?”
Changing the length of the drag link does not change the toe in...it moves the left tire. You change the length of the tie rod (ties the two tires together) to adjust the toe in.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Steering Wheel cocked. I fixed it!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS