cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White smoke from exhaust

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a 1986 Monaco Dynasty. I was 3 hours into a trip when I noticed while smoke coming from exhaust. This smoke only occurs when accelerating. The coolant is full, the transmission fluid is topped off and the oil is at a good level. I changed the oil 2 months ago and had the oil analyzed with out issue. I changed the fuel filters in September of last year prior to storage. Once I diagnosed the issue, I continued to drive and about 5 minutes into driving the white smoke from exhaust ceased. However when I arrived at my destination and used brake white smoke appeared again from exhaust and stopped again when driving to my spot at the park I was staying at. I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, suggestions etc.
Thank you in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
White smoke is unburned fuel or water getting into the combustion chamber. Black is partially burned and blue is oil burning. So unburned fuel is often caused by a faulty injector or poor fuel atomization. It could be air getting into the fuel line somewhere. To check for air in fuel you could find the return or injector bypass line and submerge it into a container of diesel and watch for air bubbles with the engine running.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Head gasket is going
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
google, your issue

That's what we call google diagnostics.
This is a Diesel engine, if this isn't a coolant issue it sounds like an injector is hanging up.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
This happened to me on our diesel engine it was a loose fuel filter.
🙂 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Is this a diesel or gas motor? Is it a Tier 4 engine and if it is and you have a DEF engine, you have a dosing issue. White smoke is an indication of over dosing with diesel exhaust fluid.

DEF in a 1986 coach? Don't think so.:B
If gas I would look at coolant. If diesel check injectors.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a diesel or gas motor? Is it a Tier 4 engine and if it is and you have a DEF engine, you have a dosing issue. White smoke is an indication of over dosing with diesel exhaust fluid.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
What does the smoke smell like? Fuel? Coolant? Other? Is it oily (like smoke) or does it evaporate? (like water/moisture)

Chum lee

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with moisture is getting in the combustion chamber. If it there after a short trip then you have a leak somewhere. Also if you oil level is too high then it also could cause a white/grey color mist.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
google, your issue
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
eHoefler wrote:
Bad injector

X2
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bad injector
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
It's always been my experience that white smoke means moisture is in the combustion chain and is steaming off. Could be simply that some condensation built up in the cylinders between uses, or it could mean that coolant water is getting past the head gasket. If that's the case, the oil will likely look like a chocolate milkshake. Black smoke usually indicates a rich condition, and blue smoke usually means it's burning oil.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while since I've dealt with this, but isn't white smoke an indication that gas is not burning off correctly. In other words, the engine is running to rich with gas.

Black smoke is an indicator that motor oil is leaking into the engine and burning, causing the smoke to be black.

There is another possibility, on vehicles with automatic transmissions, if the transmission fluid is dripping on the hot exhaust pipe, the transmission fluid will vaporize and turn into white smoke. Although, that won't be coming from your exhaust pipe and when that happens, it looks like the entire vehicle is on fire. Happened to me once, scared the bee-jee-beers out of me!

Well, that's my input for the day. 🙂