Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: RVCampsite only 30amp - can we run AC in the Class A
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVCampsite only 30amp - can we run AC in the Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Herdingdog

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We want to run the AC but Hubby is worried that our 50amp Class A won't run off a 30 amp connection with the converter from our 50 amp plug - the camp only offers 30 amps

Ted and Kath
2012 Coachmen Mirada 32DS
3 "Kids"- 2 Border collies & Aussie

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should not have any problems running one AC unit along with other items. I would not try to run 120 volt water heater, washer/dryer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes you can run one A/C with a 30 amp dogbone connector. I've done it several times.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can be done--but it is best to monitor the voltage. At 107 volts I shut down the roof air.

Then I add my autoformer and the voltage goes back up. I limit the input amps to 24 (80% of 30).

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 12:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can run both ONE A/C and the converter/charger on 30A provided the charger and other equipment amp draw is limited. My charger can draw 11A AC with low batteries and/or a lot of DC power. However I can reduce the charger capacity down to 10% if required. It's not a big problem as the 30A CB will trip and then you know to turn some stuff off.

We've been on 30A recently at several CGs and we are careful about using high draw appliances like A/C, HW, MW, etc. Hair dryers are another popular high draw appliance.

* This post was edited 08/13/19 09:02am by CA Traveler *

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely! You can run other stuff as well. I suggest trying to get any other major draw shut down first and then start the A/C. After the A/C is up and running the amps will settle down and you can go about using 1 or 2 other high draw items as well. If you have an amp meter keep in mind that about 24 amps is going to be max for any extended period of time before the parks breaker trips.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have already said, yes you can run one AC with the 30 amp. I see in your signature that you have several pets. I would want to stay around the coach for at least one afternoon before leaving your pets in the coach for an afternoon. Sometimes running on 30 amp can have a learning curve for those who are used to using 50 amp. It is easy to forget to switch the water heater to propane instead of electric, or the fridge may switch back to electric because it hasn't been run on propane for a while, etc. Best to work those things out before leaving the pets.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've run our 50 amp 5er on 30 amps a few times at campsites that did not have a 50 amp hookup. Power management is all you have to do.

If you have a gas/electric water heater, flip it on gas.
You can run one air conditioner, should be, with absolutely no problem, but not both at the same time.
To help save power management a little, if you have a gas/electric refrigerator, flip it to gas also.
If running the microwave, turn the air conditioner off while it's running. When done with the microwave, turn the air conditioner back on.

If running an appliance, like a 1500 watt hair dryer, or a 1500 watt electric skillet or griddle, run them on a completely separate extension cord plugged into the campground 20 amp socket (like in a house).

If you do these simple steps, you'll have no issues with power management. And you can run either air conditioner, just not both at the same time.

Folks do this type of power management all the time, successful on 30 amp with 50 amp RV's.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can run one A/C 2 .. Well I've done it for proof of concept for a few minutes but at 27 amps the breaker may trip.

If you run both you have to turn off everythign else NO microwave No water heater NO electric cooking TV's may be ok and give it an hour or so before you fire up the 2nd one to let the converter charge the batteries.

But generally the rule is ONE A/C Also turn off water heater if using microwave.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a little planning you can still use a hot plate or other cooking device.

I have a dedicated inverter powered outlet in the kitchen. So when power resources are low, I use that.

I do have a load support inverter/charger, but be aware that load support is NOT voltage support. So watch the system voltage carefully.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVCampsite only 30amp - can we run AC in the Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS