cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean Water Heater

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2004 Tioga 26Q, Atwood water heater. Have watched You Tube videos about dumping water, squirting inside with wand, draining, and filling tank with white vinegar and water to remove "scale". I don't have a way to draw vinegar/water into water heater tank. It looks like I can remove the pressure relief valve and fill the tank there with a funnel, replace valve, turn on heater, and let vinegar do it's thing overnight, then dump tank to get rid of excess "scale" (Do I have this right?)
19 REPLIES 19

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I checked CLR websites and they advised that it attacks aluminum, they do not advise it be used.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, sounds like it should work but filling would be somewhat tedious. Also sounds like vinegar in Suburban steel water heater tanks is not a great idea. Wonder if injecting a quantity of CLR to dissolve sediment into drain hole , leaving drain plug out, would negatively effect tank if flushed out carefully?

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have never tried this, but has anyone considered the following method of filling the HWH with solution?

Remove the aerator from the sink faucet closest to the HWH.
Attach a hose with funnel to it. (garden hose adapters are available)
Turn on only the hot water.
Fill the hot water tank.

Getting it to burp might require opening another faucet or pouring slowly with no sag in the hose.

My experience with such things is "don't disturb anything unnecessarily" like the pressure relief valve. You may be replacing it because it leaks after being disturbed.

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last year I decided to do a vinegar soak on my water heater since I could see a lot of scale in the bottom of the tank.

I think I used too much vinegar though - didn't dilute it much, and let it sit overnight.

Imagine my surprise the next day when my anode rod was about half gone (was a new one that year)!

I flushed all the vinegar out (the tank was nice and clean!) and thought all was well.

I thought I flushed everything good enough with copious amounts of water, but should have neutralized the vinegar also - now my external water heater area where the vinegar ran out/over it is a little rusty. I'm chalking that up to the vinegar reacting with the metal & promoting corrosion.

Oh well, live and learn!

CC

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I decided not to go with the vinegar and water procedure which would have required removing the pop-off valve to fill the tank.( No winterizing kit) I simply removed the nylon drain plug with my handy Camco wrench, drained the tank, got drenched, and squirted the sediment loose with my handy Camco water tank rinser. Next, I hooked the hose to the city water port and flushed the tank. I repeated use of the tank rinser I got a good quantity of white sediment out of the tank and onto the driveway. Finally, I installed a new nylon plug with Teflon tape and refilled the tank with pop-off lever open, when water ran out the valve I shut off city water and shut the lever on the pop-off valve. I ran the water heater on propane and water got hot with no weeping out the pop-off valve. I figured that the Atwood aluminum tank would still be in pretty good shape, glad it's not rust-prone steel.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Learned some things about Atwood 6 gallon water heaters, there are 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch size temp and pressure (T&P) pop off valves. My 2004 rig uses the 1/2 inch size, after 2005 versions use the 3/4 inch size. The valves are somewhat awkward to remove. Camco sells a removal tool #10552 that fits over the valve and makes removal easier. Large water pump pliers (may) work after you remove the sheet metal cover that's in the way. CW and Amazon sell Camco replacement T&P valves. Cheaper standard T&P valves from Home Depot will fit, must be rated for 150 psi and 210 degrees temperature. After reinstalling the T&P valve, let tank fill with valve lever open until water runs out, then turn off pump and shut the valve. This sets the air gap in the tank and stops water flowing out of the T&P valve if it is working properly. If valve is not closing properly, repeatedly flipping the lever open and closed may dislodge foreign matter that may be keeping the valve from sealing. A little leaking from the valve is normal. Like many things in RV's, water heaters are not designed for easy DIY maintenance.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I've seen home water heaters where the hot water smelled like rotten eggs. When the anode rod is removed the rotten smell goes away.

Atwood RV water heaters have aluminum tanks and no anode rod (the OP says his is an Atwood).

Suburban RV water heaters have steel tanks and DO have anode rods. I think the Atwood water heater is by far, more popular with the RV manufacturers than the Suburban.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I had egg smell from the hot water. I turned the water pump off Drained the hot water tank. Funnel poured some bleach into the drain hole. Put the drain plug back in. Turned on the water pump. Opened the relief valve till water came out. Shut off water pump. Waited 24 hours and then drained the tank. Ran the pump a bit to flush the bottom of the tank. Turned pump off. Put drain plug back in. Turned on the water pump. Turned on the hot water tap in the kitchen and waited for water to come out of it, done.

Oh it had a slight chlorine smell at first. About the same as when you finish de-winterizing just the pipes. The smell never came back.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW has corrected my post about the vinegar mixture. I said 2 water to 1 vinegar. She said it was 4 parts water to 1 vinegar. Sorry for the confusion.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per ATWOOD:
1. Turn off your main water supply. Drain you water heater tank. Reinstall drain plug. Remove the pressure-temperature relief valve. With a funnel use 4 parts white vinegar to two parts water. (In a 6 gallon tank that would be 4 gallons vinegar to 2 gallons water).
2. Cycle the water heater, letting it run under normal operation 4-5 times.
At no time do you remove the vinegar from the tank Once this has been completed, remove the drain plug and drain the water heater.
3. After thoroughly draining the tank, to remove the sediment, flush the water heater.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen home water heaters where the hot water smelled like rotten eggs. When the anode rod is removed the rotten smell goes away.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a nasty rotten egg odor coming from our hot water tank. I did some research and between all the advice I found I devised my own method that worked. Pulled out the drain plug and cleaned it thoroughly. Got our pump up garden sprayer and put in a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water. Inserted the plastic spray wand and squirted in all directions. I also removed the nozzle tip so the liquid sprayed more to the sides, rather than straight ahead. While spraying the liquid will run out the drain where the sprayer is inserted, so you'll get flowing out. After using about a gallon of the liquid I let it set for an hour or so then got the hose with aRV water tank cleaning wand. This did remove the vinegar odor and reached up and all the tank. You will probably get wet!
And that's it! Replace the plug turn the bypass to open to the heater, run some through and you should be good to go. Or at least we were.
Hope this helps.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, This looks like the easiest way if RV has no OEM or add-on winterizing setup.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:
Bordercollie wrote:
Don't have a winterizing kit, live in SoCal. Want to know if I can fill hot water tank with vinegar/water solution by removing pressure relief valve and filling though the orifice.

I would think you could do that as long as there is a way for air to get out as you fill with vinegar/water.

I think that's the easiest thing for you to do too. After all, to change a bad PR valve you would unscrew it and replace it.