Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Ontario Annual Yellow safety inspection sticker exemption
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

 > Ontario Annual Yellow safety inspection sticker exemption

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
stevemorris

ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 08/14/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some provinces have an annual safety inspection for all motor vehicles and trailers. private and commercial AND travel trailers are included, even little popups

new Brunswick and nova scotia for sure

keeps a lot of trash off the road


2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

gitane59

Ontario, Can

Senior Member

Joined: 02/21/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/14/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevemorris wrote:

some provinces have an annual safety inspection for all motor vehicles and trailers. private and commercial AND travel trailers are included, even little popups

new Brunswick and nova scotia for sure

keeps a lot of trash off the road

While in theory I don't disagree with your suggestion I have not seen or heard of any recreational vehicles in Ontario sustaining mechanical failures due to lack of maintenance kill people. however we have too many examples of tires flying off of passenger cars and commercial transport trailers in Ontario that have indeed killed people.
I support fixing that issue first as it has resulted in serious injury and death.


2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gitane59 wrote:

stevemorris wrote:

some provinces have an annual safety inspection for all motor vehicles and trailers. private and commercial AND travel trailers are included, even little popups

new Brunswick and nova scotia for sure

keeps a lot of trash off the road

While in theory I don't disagree with your suggestion I have not seen or heard of any recreational vehicles in Ontario sustaining mechanical failures due to lack of maintenance kill people. however we have too many examples of tires flying off of passenger cars and commercial transport trailers in Ontario that have indeed killed people.
I support fixing that issue first as it has resulted in serious injury and death.


Never say never........

Read this story.

Please note the point in the story, the vehicle that lost the wheel, was a LEO’s own vehicle. While NOT an RV, it was one of those ‘exempt’ vehicles that don’t need to be inspected.

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/22/2005

View Profile



Posted: 08/15/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

gitane59 wrote:

stevemorris wrote:

some provinces have an annual safety inspection for all motor vehicles and trailers. private and commercial AND travel trailers are included, even little popups

new Brunswick and nova scotia for sure

keeps a lot of trash off the road

While in theory I don't disagree with your suggestion I have not seen or heard of any recreational vehicles in Ontario sustaining mechanical failures due to lack of maintenance kill people. however we have too many examples of tires flying off of passenger cars and commercial transport trailers in Ontario that have indeed killed people.
I support fixing that issue first as it has resulted in serious injury and death.


Never say never........

Read this story.

Please note the point in the story, the vehicle that lost the wheel, was a LEO’s own vehicle. While NOT an RV, it was one of those ‘exempt’ vehicles that don’t need to be inspected.


No follow up on why it came off, what it came off of and not an RV. What am I missing??? That every vehicle in Ontario should be yearly inspected?


2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman


JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shum02 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

gitane59 wrote:

stevemorris wrote:

some provinces have an annual safety inspection for all motor vehicles and trailers. private and commercial AND travel trailers are included, even little popups

new Brunswick and nova scotia for sure

keeps a lot of trash off the road

While in theory I don't disagree with your suggestion I have not seen or heard of any recreational vehicles in Ontario sustaining mechanical failures due to lack of maintenance kill people. however we have too many examples of tires flying off of passenger cars and commercial transport trailers in Ontario that have indeed killed people.
I support fixing that issue first as it has resulted in serious injury and death.


Never say never........

Read this story.

Please note the point in the story, the vehicle that lost the wheel, was a LEO’s own vehicle. While NOT an RV, it was one of those ‘exempt’ vehicles that don’t need to be inspected.


No follow up on why it came off, what it came off of and not an RV. What am I missing??? That every vehicle in Ontario should be yearly inspected?


The point was simply that if a 'daily driver' owned and operated by a LEO could lose a wheel on a major highway causing this sort of issue, then imagine how much more likely a vehicle much more likely to be self-maintained, if maintained at all, and only driven sporadically and likely only seasonally at that is to be in poor shape.

Many, many jurisdictions in North America require just that, an annual safety inspection for every vehicle, motorized or not.

BTW, there was an update, it just wasn't as publicized as the actual event. This one was also the 5 or 6th instance this summer of passenger vehicles or small trailers losing wheels.

According to the OPP spokesman, "A 56 year old man from Barrie is now charged with “Detached part” - HTA 84.2(1) after a wheel came off his vehicle and struck another vehicle injuring the driver on #Hwy400"

* This post was edited 08/15/19 09:00am by JaxDad *

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/22/2005

View Profile



Posted: 08/15/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

shum02 wrote:



No follow up on why it came off, what it came off of and not an RV. What am I missing??? That every vehicle in Ontario should be yearly inspected?


The point was simply that if a 'daily driver' owned and operated by a LEO could lose a wheel on a major highway causing this sort of issue, then imagine how much more likely a vehicle much more likely to be self-maintained, if maintained at all, and only driven sporadically and likely only seasonally at that is to be in poor shape.

Many, many jurisdictions in North America require just that, an annual safety inspection for every vehicle, motorized or not.

BTW, there was an update, it just wasn't as publicized as the actual event. This one was also the 5 or 6th instance this summer of passenger vehicles or small trailers losing wheels.

According to the OPP spokesman, "A 56 year old man from Barrie is now charged with “Detached part” - HTA 84.2(1) after a wheel came off his vehicle and struck another vehicle injuring the driver on #Hwy400"


Just because he's a LEO does not make him in any way a mechanic. Several years ago May 24 I got caught in those trailer inspections on the 400 North of #7. The OPP officer looking over my rig had NO clue what he was looking at. I explained it to him what he was looking at, we checked all my lights and then I was off. BTW I no longer stop there on a long weekend anymore. An hour of my life I won't get back.

With dofo running the Province for another 3 years you will NEVER see any additional "red tape" thrown in front of business or the motoring public. Heck I disagreed with the removal of emission test because it was perhaps the only time some people actually took their car to see a mechanic unless it actually stranded them and let's not even talk about the North end of the province getting exemptions from emission testing due to financial hardships!!!

I have had my F350 registered for 4000kgs since I have owned it to not bother with the yellow sticker. Personally I'm glad it's done with as my truck is a daily driver, it does not earn me a living, get me any tax deductions or covered by OHSA legislation.

almcc

Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good that there won't be more "red tape" in the short term! In terms of excessive legislation I always get a laugh when I cross into the "nanny state" AKA California, they must assume their citizens are pure dummies.

It's important that people take personal responsibility for their actions, maybe McDonalds wouldn't need to put warnings on their coffee cups after that woman got scalded when holding a cup between her legs (and won some significant $$).

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shum02 wrote:

With dofo running the Province for another 3 years you will NEVER see any additional "red tape" thrown in front of business or the motoring public.


I presume you're not a business owner then, and that you never eat or drink anything while driving.

As of Jan 1 / 2019 a bunch of new changes came into effect here in the Ford Nation.

Just as one example, although you'll see anyone being charged unless they tinkle on a LEO's corn flakes or have an accident....

Grabbing a double / double and a doughnut at Timmes could now mean:

First offence: $1,000 fine and 3 day license suspension,

Second offence: $2,000 fine and 7 day license suspension,

Third offence: $3,000 fine, 30 day licence suspension, and six demerit points.


Yup, as of Jan. 1st 2019 the list of things that qualify as "distracted driving" grew.

gitane59

Ontario, Can

Senior Member

Joined: 02/21/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/16/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes there are incidents where lack of maintenance or human error causes accident's where good innocent people are hurt or killed. Sorry that life's. Wrap yourself in bubblewrap and climb into a bomb shelter if it makes you feel better.
You can make all the laws and regulation's you want but people will still break them and take stupid chances and risk's putting you and themselves at risk.
Where is the line between freedom and excessive laws/regulations? I don't know many business owners that want more regulation.
We need a new constitutional charter right prohibiting any new laws that reduces the need to take personal responsibility for ones own action's before we all become nanny state zombie's.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/16/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gitane59 wrote:

We need a new constitutional charter right prohibiting any new laws that reduces the need to take personal responsibility for ones own action's before we all become nanny state zombie's.


Now there's the best idea I've heard in a long time.

Unfortunately we now live in a society where the only person NOT responsible for someone's action is that person themselves.

So until people start taking responsibility for their own actions, we will be all forced to look over our shoulder for big brother to watch out for us with ever more stringent rules & regulations.

Snow tires are another example, people run "all season" tires all year then scream when their vehicle is damaged by the governments 'negligence in not maintaining the roads 'properly'.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

 > Ontario Annual Yellow safety inspection sticker exemption
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS