cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing Jeep Wrangler with LED lights

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Do LED lights require special wiring to be used when flat towing?
Or are they wired like halogen lights?
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.
14 REPLIES 14

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
They love my personality too.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
zb39 wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
broccoli2 wrote:
I now have a 2018 JLUR and I put in the Mopar harness (same as the link above in Tom/Barb's post) It is all plug and play and you retain the factory warranty. Works great.

Curious who guarantees that the warranty is retained , the seller of the item or FCA .

I can't say. I went to my dealer and told them what I wanted. They said they would order a harness from parts and they would install it. Mine is definitely covered under warranty. Of course I have a great relationship with my dealer also. Total price $825 So not cheap. This is my 4th toad and the first time I let someone else install it. Works great.

At that price I can see why you have such a great relationship with them. Ill stick to my plan.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
broccoli2 wrote:
I now have a 2018 JLUR and I put in the Mopar harness (same as the link above in Tom/Barb's post) It is all plug and play and you retain the factory warranty. Works great.

Curious who guarantees that the warranty is retained , the seller of the item or FCA .

I can't say. I went to my dealer and told them what I wanted. They said they would order a harness from parts and they would install it. Mine is definitely covered under warranty. Of course I have a great relationship with my dealer also. Total price $825 So not cheap. This is my 4th toad and the first time I let someone else install it. Works great.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
broccoli2 wrote:

broccoli2
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3921
2011 Jeep JKU
2014 Polaris RZR XP1000 Titanium
2012 Polaris Outlaw 50 Pink
A few 2 wheelers
1946 CJ2a Frame off

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot said : "Some people like to avoid tapping into the OEM electrical system of any vehicle."

I'm one of them. With all the electronics on my new 2019 Rubicon, I'm sure that should there be Any electrical issue they will point at the harness as the blame.
My goal is to fabricate a light bar that fits into the tow hitch and operates off an independent wire harness directly from the coach.
On my 08 JK I installed bulb sockets inside the taillights ,totally independent from the Jeep.
At close to 500 for the "plug and play" system mentioned here. nope.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people like to avoid tapping into the OEM electrical system of any vehicle.
Do you have room in the taillight housing to drill a hole for an independent socket and bulb. You would run a separate set of wires to a trailer plug. You could also add a 12v charge line to that plug to charge your Jeep battery as you tow.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Someone mentioned needing a resistor or something to make the LED lights flash at the same cadence as the RV
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
Jack Spratt wrote:

LED lights are just like any other trailer lights, just brighter and use less current. As long as they're wired correctly (polarity), they work just the same.

LED light system are low power systems, they will not power up trailer incandescent bulbs.

It's like adding a short to ground to the system.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/rv-towing-harness-jeep-wrangler-jl-82215382

harness

this is a must for towing the JL using the jeeps LED light system..

I use a separate light system that does not use the Jeep's wiring
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has led lights I used a Hopkins wire harness that is plug and play
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Jack Spratt wrote:

LED lights are just like any other trailer lights, just brighter and use less current. As long as they're wired correctly (polarity), they work just the same.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably specific to the towing rig you're planning on using. Contact Blue Ox, or Roadmaster, or Demco, or whoever, and ask them about it.
They'll know if they sell the wiring kits. Blue Ox sells them.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced most of my TT lights with LEDs. No wire changes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad